Camping in the La Rochelle or Royan area - recommendations?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julesx

Reaction score
I want to holiday in the La Rochelle or Royan area in France in July in my EarlyBay

Can anyone recommend me a nice site? I would like a smallish site that is geared more to caravans and small camper vans as opposed to big white boxes and mobile homes. Beach location would be nice but I suspect that most of those sites are the more commercial ones.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

The Isle De Re, just over the bridge from La Rochelle is covered with loads of campsites of various sizes, and most are located close to the beach, lots of choice.

We stayed near Royan the year before last. Royan itself isnt coastal, and where we stayed, Camping Les Chenes Royan was stuck out with no decent ameneties in walking distance so I wouldnt reccomend it. We would drive to St George De Didonne for nearest beach/promenade but it was a faff. So be sure to check location to beach in that area.

Of the two, Id go for La Rochelle/Isle De Re first. :)

Thanks Clem!

I've read & heard other good reports about the Isle De Re and it looks doable in a day from Caen or St Malo in a bus at ambling speed!

Julesx said:
Thanks Clem!

I've read & heard other good reports about the Isle De Re and it looks doable in a day from Caen or St Malo in a bus at ambling speed!

Yes, we did Royan from Caen and we landed at 8/9 in the morning and were setting up camp at teatime, and Royan is an hour or so further south than La Rochelle :)

Myself and herself were going to camp in La Rochelle last summer, and while camping in Nantes I got chatting to a Welsh couple who recommend Île de Ré - really delighted that we got the recommendation.

The island is an eco island and it costs €16 to get on the island by camper, or cycle at no cost. It's a really nice size island, and if your bringing bicycles you've great cycle lanes throughout the island on flat ground bringing you to each port with tonnes of seafood restaurants, shops, and nice walks.

We stayed four nights in this campsite, it has the usual amenties a pool, decent wash/electricity facilities, 5 minute walk to a SuperMarche - the site itself is more aimed at smaller sized camper vans and tents, but you will get the odd white elephant RV http://en.bel-air-camping.com

Also, if your travelling past Nantes I really recommend this campsite - walk outside the campsite and onto a tram into Nantes which is really nice city and two nights would be perfect here if your trying to break up the trip.
http://www.nantes-camping.fr

Hi

Sorry to reopen this thread, we are heading to La Rochelle in August, my hubby wants to just rock up! The site you posted on Ile de Re looks lovely. Would you recommend booking or do people just turn up? Thanks

Marjorie71 said:
Hi

Sorry to reopen this thread, we are heading to La Rochelle in August, my hubby wants to just rock up! The site you posted on Ile de Re looks lovely. Would you recommend booking or do people just turn up? Thanks

Not that particular site, but we turned up on the Ile de Re unbooked and got on a site pretty easy, and stayed a day or two longer that we originally booked for, that was in August at peak time too. Its a gamble though .... ;)

Marjorie71 said:
That worries me, but not the hubby! :lol: thank you

If I head back there, I probably wouldn't book ahead ;) Go for it! 8)

If it wasn't August, might've done! Decided on Camping La Phare! At the top tip of Ile de Re. The rest of the holiday though, we are just rocking up! :lol:

Marjorie71 said:
That worries me, but not the hubby! :lol: thank you

It worried my wife as well :roll: ,even driving on empty more than 20 miles would bring her out in a hot sweat... :mrgreen:

I live 40 mins from the island , if you need a safety net... :D

hi guys !
i live in france , near Poitiers near the road A10 in direction to Bordeaux / Cognac / La Rochelle or Royan.

i agree with you, Ile de Ré is nice, but i prefer Ile d'Oléron (a bit more south) or places like Marennes or La Palmyre, they are places more natural ... wild ...

if you are interested during your trip, you can have a stop for a visit of Futuroscope , and Poitiers' area , and if you need a room or a place to camp in the countryside (10 minutes from A 10) i would really enjoy to meet any of you ...

just tell us .
and maybe we can enjoy an international meeting !

Hi skapunkvw

my teen went to Poitiers uni ,that kfc on the way home on the outskirt of Poitiers ,does it now sell chicken? we went and it just sold nuggets chips etc.. :lol:

I am quite near La Palmyre and would advise anyone to give it a wide birth july/august , but in September the beaches are empty...

I'm staying in a campsite that is located about 5 miles south of La Palmyre for a week from the 27th June.

Hopefully it won't be too crowded as it's not quite the high season :D

Do you have any top tips and local sights that I should go and check out?

I'm crossing via the Portsmouth to Caen ferry and then driving to Rennes for an overnight stop. Next day I'm driving in our T2 to La Palmyre to stay for a week. Not sure whether to auto route the second days driving which I think is about 200 miles or be adventurous and dive off onto the smaller roads for a gentle run through the towns.

Julesx said:
I'm staying in a campsite that is located about 5 miles south of La Palmyre for a week from the 27th June.

there is the zoo at la palmyre (nice market as well),the is a stones throw away ,saint palais sur mer is a lovely town with beach ,Royan and Saint-Georges-de-Didonne is fab...

Saintes is quite nice as is La Rochelle...

Depends what you like.... :D

I would take the main road from Rennes to Nantes ,then at La Roche-sur-Yon go the scenic way (no more motorways)

btw when you pass la Rochelle on the way down on the right you will see the nature reserve and the bridge going to the ile d'oleron....

pm me and you can have my number "just in case"

dandaz said:
Julesx said:

there is the zoo at la palmyre (nice market as well),the is a stones throw away ,saint palais sur mer is a lovely town with beach ,Royan and Saint-Georges-de-Didonne is fab...

Saintes is quite nice as is La Rochelle...

Depends what you like.... :D

I would take the main road from Rennes to Nantes ,then at La Roche-sur-Yon go the scenic way (no more motorways)

btw when you pass la Rochelle on the way down on the right you will see the nature reserve and the bridge going to the ile d'oleron....

pm me and you can have my number "just in case"

also pm'd ! driving down from Roscoff next Tuesday and hope to stay around La Rochelle for a week or so, maybe down south a bit further (no real plan at all except surf and skate lots!!)

hey guys !
i agree with dandaz, if you can drive from La Rochelle, try to visit Fouras (nice town with old war/defense monuments in front of the see)
then jump to Marennes / Ile d'Oléron (if you like oysters and white wine it's fabulous)

The zoo in la Palmyre is really nice, and if you can jump to Saintes it's a really nice old town, with fabulous monuments (Arena)

after that you're not far from Cognac ....

have a nice trip

Thank you for the offer dandaz. 3 nights booked at Le Phare and then we will see where we end up. Lucky you living in France. we love it x

PS If anyone needs discount on Brittany Ferries, I can get you 10% off, just let me know :)

Skapunkvw, we are around you from 13/08 after leaving Ile de Re heading to hossegor for the hubby and kids to surf. Would be good to meet and have an international early bay meeting. If you need any english supplies, let us know and we would be happy to swing by :) That offer to you too dandaz :)

Latest posts