Campsite Market Research - Thinking of a Career change!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thru_a_lupe

Reaction score
Hello all, as the title suggests I am thinking of a bit of change in direction and one thing my better half and I have always wanted to do is own a campsite.... now we are very seriously considering it.... so I thought I would get a bit of market research out of you lot if you dont mind?!?

Being relatively local we are thinking of North Coast of Devon/Cornwall area, probably anywhere from Croyde down to just below Newquay area. In fact we have already discovered a site near Bude that has potential!

What I want to ask you is the following but I welcome ANY ideas, thoughts, suggestions willingly!

As camper owners would a campsite, open to anyone, but heavily geared towards VW campers appeal to you?

If so, what kind of things/changes/facilities would you like to see at such a site that were maybe VW specific?

Do you prefer all mod cons or do you prefer nice and basic?

Do you like things like little shops with local produce for your Full English?

Would you be persuaded by reduced rate for VW's?

And persuaded by not having to pay extra for the dog or an awning?

What else bugs you about sites that you already go to?

Where do you prefer to camp (within the area that i previously mentioned)... are you a Saunton devotee? Bude area, Padstow or Newquay persuasion? Or does it not bother you so much?

As you all love driving your buses, does it matter that much that you might not be able to walk to the beach with your board?

What sort of cost do you usually pay for a good campsite down this way?

Would you consider a campsite that was advertised in Volksworld Camper and Bus or Camper and Commericial etc?

Think that should do for the moment... please feel free to answer any or all of the questions... or please feel free to ignore this totally!!! :lol: :mrgreen:

Thanks!

ps...i am already totally sold on a site without speed bumps!!! :lol:

Sounds like a great idea to me! Got me thinking now ;)
personally like basic country sites, trees views etc! Small shop is always good for fresh milk/ eggs etc and freezer for ice packs ;) being run by vdubers is a plus and being able to turn up and camp amongst other likeminded people would attract us!
you could also stage weekend meets/ bbq's which may pull people in, and may stay longer either side of it!
Ill keep thinking about it now , good luck.

I have camped on my VW in Belgium and France and was nicely surprised on how clean the sites were.
Here is what I loved about some of the sites:

- Wireless internet
- Washer and dryer facilities to wash your clothes.
- Clean toilets and shower facilities
- I would love to walk up to the counter and find VW related parts (fuel filters, hoses , etc. ).
- Store to buy stuff you forgot to bring is a good idea.

In Normandy a local bread maker showed up every morning with fresh warm bread , just honked and we all came out to buy his goodies , so maybe invite a local vendor of say cider , pasties or whatever , it may work.

Anyways this are my two cents , tokens or pesos whatever the currency :lol:

Oh forgot , you having a good eye for pictures , maybe take some good professional pictures of your customers camping and offer them for a few quid.
I am a sucker for good pictures.

Like you this something I would love to do, we have looked into it in the past but lack the finances and bottle to do it.

A lot of our camping is done through the camping and caravan club temp sites with only fresh water and a elson point.

We like basic campsites non of this swimming pool and club houses.
All we like is good clean facilities and enough for the campsite guests to use none of this 4 fields of campers and two portable loos.
Don't like paying extra for awnings, pup tents etc......
Our favourite campsite is in the middle of nowhere, honesty shop and cheep. They will always squeeze us in the main field at the last minute.

And most of all a barn full of spares.
North Devon would be great not a place we explore that often but still very local.

My parents run a campsite now they are retired... the first year they opened they allowed kids but after that first seasoned they made it adults only but allowed dogs which made a big difference to the sites popularity.

the obvious. good showers are a must

flat pitches

not charging motor home prices for a bus that is no bigger than a car

little shop with esentials

no pissing about with 20ps for the showers(still dont understand why places dont this just stick it in the price)

and a pub less than a mile away

and thats me a happy bunny

Something like this http://www.henryscampsite.co.uk/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We thought this site was spot on.

Will you be open for September, we'll be going to North Devon then ;) :lol:

Personally i like an electric hook up point when camping for longer than a weekend, fresh water supply is a MUST (even just a tap to fill up a bottle is better than nothing)
A small shop (or as Juan suggested a daily van selling fresh milk / goods)
Somewhere with in walking distance to a Beach / shops / pubs
Washing up facilities / toilets / showers

I know you are thinking of aiming this mainly at VW's but will this be enough to make a living?

thru_a_lupe said:
Think that should do for the moment... please feel free to answer any or all of the questions... or please feel free to ignore this totally!!! :lol: :mrgreen:

Thanks!

ps...i am already totally sold on a site without speed bumps!!! :lol:

I owned and ran a site here in France for ten years. You may find the reality is different from the dream and hence I would recommend you work on or help run a site at least for a few weeks, to get a better idea of what its like.

Theres little point in me trying to post advice or information on here since it would rapidly turn into a book :lol: but if you want to have a chat then pm me so we can arrange something. :)

Great idea Jon, level pitches is a must for me, hate turning up at a site to find the pitch is on a 1:4 hill.

I think most of the other bits have been covered but I like the informality of places like Lobb Fields but not the speed bumps!!, love the Bude area so would definitely be interested.

Hi!

All of the above are great comments, and I wish you the best in your venture, a leaning towards VW's would be great - and I am sure regular meets with local clubs, and mini shows would certainly help cash flow. I would deffo visit, especially as I live on the North Devon coast in Instow.

Good luck!

Alistair

After spending 2 months travelling around Europe we stayed in a lot of campsites.

Electric hook up was a must really
Plenty of water points
Nice toilet / shower block is also a main priority
We also liked sites that had lots of information about the local area, for example a bus service within short walking distance from the campsite.

I think if you promote the whole vw based campsite you would do well with local meets / get togethers. Earlybay / latebay summer campouts etc.

And finally just a nice feel with friendly staff and no chavs playing really loud music to silly late. 8)

best camp site we've stayed at was probably in pembrokeshire - the site owners were fantastic- each pitch had it's own camp fire area, massive shed full of wood where you got to go and chop logs into required size for fire, really clean lovely showers (better than a lot of hotels we've stayed at), loads of recycling bins even for your left over veggies (which they fed to their pigs) and free eggs in the washing up area from their hens- weather was awful and we didn't have our van then so we left a day early and the camp site owner even tried to refund us part of our money!!!!! - it was in the middle of nowhere but that added to it!!!!!

Good Luck wth your adventure- we'd definately be interested in a camp site which encouraged vw owners :)

Hey dood, I was going to go into this a few years back but decided not to go ahead due to the costs. Believe me it costs a fortune! first thing you need to do is contact the council for the area and get all the forms you need, which include all provisions for disabled, H&S and fire regs (there are loads!) you will need to complete and submit them with plans etc.

If you have found a possible site, make sure that it can be used for this purpose and what provisions they have for amenities along with housing for you guys. Dont forget unless you have some serious capital, you will need to stay on site 24hours a day during opening.

Let me know fella if you need any further info, as i said ive been looking at the process and know a large amount of the dos and donts! 8) ;)

hey all! sooo many thanks for your comments so far.... please keep them coming!

ez.... would most definatly like to talk further with you on this....

cheers,
jon :mrgreen:

oh and btw early bayers.... ive posted this on the late bay :msn4: and they are already up to 28 replys!!!!
come on....lets hear what you have to say on the idea.....

:mrgreen:

Latest posts