Can You fit a 34 pict 3 to a 1600 sp

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EpsomAir

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but can you fit a solex 34 pict 3 to a 1600 siingle port. Is it a straight swap for the 30 pict or do I need an adapter or the like. Any help would be much appreciated.
Ta

You can get an adapter but it's not worth it! The SP manifold is too small to take advantage of the 34 PICT bigger choke.
IMO the 1600tp has slightly higher torque at low revs than the TP version so is good in a van. If your 1600sp lacks power it's most likely in need of a top end overhaul. Check the compressions - you may get a nasty surprise. No big deal really, just drop the lump take off the heads and sort the valves etc.

Ta for your reply. The engines fine I think but the carb is on its way out and I have bodged it for the time being. So whats my best option for a replacement should I just try and find a good original solex 30 pict or are there other easy options to improve power just a tad to to get up hills a bit better. I have seen a few original solex 30 pict carbs for sale here and there are they a good buy and how easy are they to overhaul with the kits I have seen.Also should I keep the stock air filter.

EpsomAir said:
Also should I keep the stock air filter.

:shock:

Yes, if you want your engine to run well in all climates.

If you NEVER drive your bus, go for the shiny thing :D

EpsomAir said:
Ta for your reply. The engines fine I think but the carb is on its way out and I have bodged it for the time being. So whats my best option for a replacement should I just try and find a good original solex 30 pict or are there other easy options to improve power just a tad to to get up hills a bit better. I have seen a few original solex 30 pict carbs for sale here and there are they a good buy and how easy are they to overhaul with the kits I have seen.Also should I keep the stock air filter.

you could try this chap. have ordered a 34 off him. probably not the cheapest way, but easier.for me anyway! carbs scare me :?
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=454783" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
as for the air filter, i would say stock is best. i have a lovely shiny chrome pancake on my bus, but in this cold weather its not good. carb ices all the time while its warming up. am going back to stock when i find an air filter stand.steve.

froggy said:
Couldn't you buy a 34 pict 3 WITH the manifold and swap over the ends? Twin port to single port :)

You can do this but the sp manifold ends are expensive and hard to get.

EpsomAir said:

The Brosol (not Bocar - they are rubbish) H30/31 is a good carb for this engine. You may have to increase the main jet size a bit as they come jetted for a 1500sp. You can rob jets from any solex (like your old one!) - they fit straight into the Brosol carbs. I may have a couple of good low mileage spare ones in the cave - I'll have a look tomorrow if I can get the door open - it's snowed in at the moment. If you want one I'll check it over first. There is some excellent info about single carbs here;
http://www.vw-resource.com/carb.html#brosol and here
http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/carbs101.htm
The single Weber mentioned on this site is fine but doesn't have an electrical choke - just manual. I have a NOS one of these from the 1980s if you want it.
You can overhaul your old carb, but it will probably need new spindle bushes and all passageways clearing - that's not easy to do properly unless you have an ultrasonic cleaner.

Hope this helps you
Brian

steve92 said:
froggy said:
Couldn't you buy a 34 pict 3 WITH the manifold and swap over the ends? Twin port to single port :)
is'nt the single port manifold a one piece affair?

It sure is however you could transfer the carb mounting flange over depending on your welding skills but probably easier to knock up a matching block

Latest posts