Can't fit my new rims, gutted, any advice?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been spending the last of my redundancy money, going through the running gear on my van

Last on the job is disc brakes & 15 inch alloys

So I bought some brand new mooneyes speedmasters, a rim I have been after for about 10 years

PICT3237.jpg

Trouble is, they wont fit under the rear arches. They are 5.5 wide with ET +13mm

Without a tyre there is 12mm of space to the wheelarch, but even with a 165 wide tyre, there is no ways it's fitting once rubber is fitted

Anyone got any suggestions beyond taking it up with the seller?

The tyre guy I went to suggested getting the offset reduced on a lathe. Any views on this? My concern is that metal is there for a reason, surely? Also, the guy he knew who did this has recently retired, so he could even suggest where to go

I know faux has these fitted to his but his ET is +21mm (185 tyres), which i must confess has me totally confused now, as thought these would fit further out?

Everything is stock in terms of suspension, height, drums etc at the rear

Any help would be really welcome, as totally gutted about this, and worried I am going to end up out of pocket to boot :cry:

The greater the positive offset the more tucked in the wheels will be. (so I thought)

So if that is te case a +21 offset will be 8mm more tucked in than a +13mm

Can't you just contact the seller and change them for a greater offset?

^^^
WHS

Surely if the seller was aware of the application they should be aware of the required offset.

Hope you sort it as those wheels are sweet.

Rich

Here is something to help explain.

http://automodified.co.za/wheel-pcd-and-offset-explained/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though it still makes no sense to me at all, ever having read the link (thanks radish) I cant swap them for a different offset, as the seller doesnt have any other offsets

Also, I see kieft en klok, who I got my van from many moons ago, sell the same ET rims and show them fitting an EB

http://www.kieftenklok.net/index.ph...id=1384&category_id=146&Itemid=8&image_id=889

I may give them a call as I know and respect them

bottom line, if i could fit them, I would! but I cant!

Are you certain your drums etc are stock? 5.5 ET 13 should be fine?

Yeah talk to K&K they will know for sure. I don't have the same wheels and have 185 tyres but they come to within mm of the arch...there isn't a lot of room in there!

Also if you do a quick search there seem to be quite a few other wheel types (SSP etc) that are 5.5 and from 12-14 ET.

All the best...awesome looking wheel!

K&K's wheels seem to be 5J not 5.5J, perhaps the problem? i dunno :?

have emailed them

Pull out the arches with your hands and you gain a little room. I had to do that on my 68 with Flat Four five spokes and 185/65`s. And there is still very little room.

Bryan67 said:
Pull out the arches with your hands and you gain a little room. I had to do that on my 68 with Flat Four five spokes and 185/65`s. And there is still very little room.
Yikes! No way!

Not properly discussed refunds with the seller, but will do it it comes to it

Might not be relavent , but the rear drums on my 69 have "swirls" that come out from the castle nut , and i have heard of people either trimming these back , or trimming rear of wheels to enable fitment ! :shock:

My new wheels have 185,65s on the back , and you can get a fag paper between arch and tyre

Hope you sort it Tim ;)

Sounds relevant to me, did notice the wheel wasn't sitting flush to hub. Great advice fella ta.

Id have thought that they would fit ok :? if you have 12mm space that ought to be enough ... it can be deceiving sometimes, Ive fitted rims and tyres and have winced as Ive let the van down off the jack but they clear and settle into position .... Grazy is right, you'll have to grind off the protrusions on the hubs if they sit flat.
The only change Ive seen affecting clearance is the fitting of later hub assemblies (small 5) to early vans ... but obviously this isnt relevant to you.

Get a refund if youre uncertain and give K and K a call! :D

The ET21 rims will sit closer to the centreline of the bus than the ET13 rims...

Although, I am surprised at ET13 you are getting and issue.. afterall, BRM's are ET12 and you see these around regularly...

gingerporsche said:
Here's my old bus with them on! Had no issues!
Give Tim a bell at roadhouse retro as it was him that fitted them!!
0a8dffc6.jpg

Hope this helps
Wilf
love this bus!

Latest posts