Carb air filters

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike202

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had my twin carbs for over three years now. Weber ICT’s - it’s occurred to me that they must be a bit dusty after all this time.

Am I supposed to clean the filters or replace them? How to clean them, with a vacuum or wash them?

image.jpg

Check what they’re made of first! K&N filters are generally cotton and washable as Sparky has said. They might be paper in which case they need to be binned when it is time to replace.

We’ve got a taller and thinner pair of K&N filters on ours which might be a better fit around the bulge of a standard fan housing.

Check what they’re made of first! K&N filters are generally cotton and washable as Sparky has said. They might be paper in which case they need to be binned when it is time to replace.

We’ve got a taller and thinner pair of K&N filters on ours which might be a better fit around the bulge of a standard fan housing.
thanks, the carbs are from Euro carb and they say they are similar to K&N filters so probably the same material.

thanks, the carbs are from Euro carb and they say they are similar to K&N filters so probably the same material.
I guess you’ll find out once they’ve been washed and dried! A colleague of mine who races Autograss (and therefore does a massive amount of filter cleaning!) highly recommends using a shower head and hot water, and blasting the filter from the inside to flush the majority of the trapped dirt out of them. The K&N instructions recommend similar under a tap. They shouldn’t be scrubbed as this will push dirt further into the pores, which could end up finding their way all the way through the filter material.

Hey Mike, just curious, did you get it figured out? I have a similar-looking filter and would love to get better ideas to clean it.

This link shows what to do. The important thing is to let the filter thoroughly dry before applyng the oil if you use water. I suppose carb cleaner would take less time to dry, before adding the filter oil.

I have to admit, air filter oil is a new one for me!

This link shows what to do. The important thing is to let the filter thoroughly dry before applyng the oil if you use water. I suppose carb cleaner would take less time to dry, before adding the filter oil.

I have to admit, air filter oil is a new one for me!
Thanks, this is very helpful.
Been using this blowing-out method where no oil or any liquid is being used at all.

Thanks for the reply, I’ve ordered some carb filter oil as above. Cheaper than replacing the filters as they are about £40 each. 👍
Hi Mike. Carb filter oil is a new one on me but I guess the logic is the same as the old original air filters where the oils job is to catch very small low mass particles which may otherwise pass through a dry filter media. Makes sense as long as it don't restrict air flow. Do you mind sharing where you ordered 'carb filter oil'? Tried a search myself. Couldn't find anything specific. I recon bog standard 3 in 1 spray oil would do the job. Would be interested in other EB forum comments regarding 'carb air filter oils' for after market air filters.........

Hi Mike. Carb filter oil is a new one on me but I guess the logic is the same as the old original air filters where the oils job is to catch very small low mass particles which may otherwise pass through a dry filter media. Makes sense as long as it don't restrict air flow. Do you mind sharing where you ordered 'carb filter oil'? Tried a search myself. Couldn't find anything specific. I recon bog standard 3 in 1 spray oil would do the job. Would be interested in other EB forum comments regarding 'carb air filter oils' for after market air filters.........
Air filter oil was a new one on me with these filters too. I just didn’t want to show my ignorance (again) ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,As you say it does make logical sense.:)

Air filter oil was a new one on me with these filters too. I just didn’t want to show my ignorance (again) ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,As you say it does make logical sense.:)
Filter oil for K & N cotton-gauze air filters, has been around for "donkey's years". I first came across it sometime during the early-1980s.

Air cleaners, pfffffft

😆

All jokes aside as already said, brake or carb cleaner and give a light misting of filter oil.

How often do you need to overhaul & rebuild the engine owing to ingested dust!?! Until VW of Australia offered the option of two-stage air filters (probably including a cyclone pre-cleaner) for the VW Type 2 engines, they had numerous claims under warranty for engine rebuilds.

2350000.jpg

2349999.jpg

2349998.jpg

2349997.jpg

2349996.jpg

2349995.jpg

2349994.jpg

How often do you need to overhaul & rebuild the engine owing to ingested dust!?! Until VW of Australia offered the option of two-stage air filters (probably including a cyclone pre-cleaner) for the VW Type 2 engines, they had numerous claims under warranty for engine rebuilds.

2350000.jpg

2349999.jpg

2349998.jpg

2349997.jpg

2349996.jpg

2349995.jpg

2349994.jpg
I ran my previous 2110 for 10 yrs with no filters and when I stripped to fit a hotter cam the internals were as good as the day I built it. I’ve since up graded to a 2276 and run that open stacks too.

I highly doubt VW Australia offered a filter system for Weber 48 IDA’s so I won’t waste my time reading all that but thanks for your insight….

Once again you’re clogging up peoples threads by trying to be smart arse 🙄

Last edited:
Agree with K@rlos and probably countless others on this forum who has endured reams of off-topic copied and pasted stuff from a technical manual from this guy. May I politely ask him never to reply to any of my threads again unless they specifically answer my questions in a read that takes less than 3 days..........🤬🤬🤬. No more 'War and Peace' pasted replies please............Guess I've just been Skeeted.................

There are simple kits available with cleaner and oil in it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230105-130902_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230105-130902_Samsung Internet.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 0
Agree with K@rlos and probably countless others on this forum who has endured reams of off-topic copied and pasted stuff from a technical manual from this guy. May I politely ask him never to reply to any of my threads again unless they specifically answer my questions in a read that takes less than 3 days..........🤬🤬🤬. No more 'War and Peace' pasted replies please............Guess I've just been Skeeted.................

Skeeted 😂 like that, but yes well said. All his replies are condescending and often unrelated bollocks.

I ran my previous 2110 for 10 yrs with no filters and when I stripped to fit a hotter cam the internals were as good as the day I built it. I’ve since up graded to a 2276 and run that open stacks too.

I highly doubt VW Australia offered a filter system for Weber 48 IDA’s so I won’t waste my time reading all that but thanks for your insight….

Once again you’re clogging up peoples threads by trying to be smart arse 🙄

You obviously haven't driven on dusty roads like I have in the past, whereon visibility was negligible and one suffered coughing fits if one didn't close the windows and vents. Under those conditions, you might have been lucky if your engine had lasted 10 days yet alone 10 years.

As you surmise, VW Australia probably didn't offer off-the-shelf air filters for Weber 48 IDAs or other non-standard induction systems, but there are other options.

You obviously haven't driven on dusty roads like I have in the past, whereon visibility was negligible and one suffered coughing fits if one didn't close the windows and vents. Under those conditions, you might have been lucky if your engine had lasted 10 days yet alone 10 years.

As you surmise, VW Australia probably didn't offer off-the-shelf air filters for Weber 48 IDAs or other non-standard induction systems, but there are other options.
I did thousands of miles all over the U.K. and Europe with that engine in those 10 yrs.

Yes there probably are options but quite frankly I don’t don’t care, it’s a weekend toy with a race engine which I only drive at weekend or to shows . If I was to drive across a desert I’d use a Toyota Land Cruiser or a Land Rover defender not a vw type 2.

End of discussion

Last edited:

Latest posts