Carb help Pict 34 won't idle...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holio.cornolio

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've recently had the brown beast serviced and tuned. It was running sweet as a nut, but weeping a bit of fuel from the accelerator pump diaphragm so a carb service was in order. Carb was stripped, cleaned reset and new gaskets and glands used where necessary. Now I can't get the bugger to idle. Runs perfectly nicely, but if I have the fuel and air set to where it will tick over without stalling, the engine races between gears. What to do?
I have put in a fuel filter between the fuel pump and carb, and on reflection it's probably not in the best place, but I wouldn't have thought that would affect the running.... but what could cause the engine to be so unhappy about idling?

Cheers for any help you can offer

Had a similar issue with mine a while back and after a load of faffing it turned out to be a temperamental fuel cut off solenoid .
would run fine when moveing but wouldnt idle for love nor money . changed it and all was good again .
might be worth taking it out and testing it to see if its retracting fully . :)

well if it races between gears,but ticks over ok then throttle must be sticking if thats what you ment in your post

where abouts are you? If near cambridge I have a couple of Pict 34's that are loafing about that you can use to test fuel solenoid or swap completely to confirm it's the carb itself

I don't get it. Had it running peachy before lunch, ticking over lovely. Turned it off, hadsome lunch. Started it up again and its back how it was. It's not the solenoid as it's possible to get it running nice, but it won't stay that way. Grrr. :evil:

I don't get it. Had it running peachy before lunch, ticking over lovely. Turned it off, hadsome lunch. Started it up again and its back how it was. It's not the solenoid as it's possible to get it running nice, but it won't stay that way. Grrr. :evil:

lard said:
where abouts are you? If near cambridge I have a couple of Pict 34's that are loafing about that you can use to test fuel solenoid or swap completely to confirm it's the carb itself
Cheers for the offer, I actually work near ely, so not a million miles from you. But it has been running well so I think the carb is fine, I just need some pointers setting up

Right sussed it. If I completely clear the air from the fuel filter it runs ok. But clearing the air seems almost impossible unless the filter is mounted vertically. There is some kind of sporadic leak from the throttle body but its unpredictable at best. I reckon that there is some air getting into the carb from somewhere and a new carb might completely cure this, but that's no longer what its about!

holio.cornolio said:
Right sussed it. If I completely clear the air from the fuel filter it runs ok. But clearing the air seems almost impossible unless the filter is mounted vertically. There is some kind of sporadic leak from the throttle body but its unpredictable at best. I reckon that there is some air getting into the carb from somewhere and a new carb might completely cure this, but that's no longer what its about!

I had a 2nd hand pict 34 that I re-bushed because of the air leak around the spindles, there is a guy on VZI who sells the bits to do it - though it never ran right so in the end I just got a new one as my patience ran out!

Interesting what you say about the air in the filter - I've just put one in but didn't notice when I did so if it flushed all the air out itself or if I should of inverted it to do this :shock:

67panel said:
well if it races between gears,but ticks over ok then throttle must be sticking if thats what you ment in your post
Nah, wasn't that. I think this is the engine you built up for the brown and white westy by the way. Now the carb is all sorted she's running sweet as a nut again... Touch wood it's a good'un!

Latest posts