Carb upgrade advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Hi All

My engine is currently in a queue at my local vw garage. Dodgy exhaust valve. While the engine is coming apart I'm considering making a few upgrades to the stock 1600tp.

One would be to go to 1641 and another would be to upgrade the current single carb. Solex 34 I think. I bought the bus nearly 2 yrs ago and prior to that it had been laid up in Cali since 2008.

So I'm seeking suggestions carb wise! If I stick with the current carb it defo needs to have an overhaul. I've also seen the twin Webber ict34 kits....what are people's experience with these? You also seem to be able to get the empi, csp or CB kit? The idf kits are beyond my budget at the moment!

Cheers
Craig

In my experience...
The move to 1641 will make only a very small difference.
If you want simplicity, economy and reliability, then get your original solex refurbed.
If you want a bit more torque for the hills, then Weber 34s work well when set up properly, go for the best kit you can afford, I was advised the empi but wish I forked out for the CB kit. You will also need a fuel regulator as the stock pump supplies too much pressure for the Weber 34s, I have a malpassi fuel king that works well.

Haha... I'd like both of those!

We will only go to 1641 if the 1600 needs replacing.

I have since read that going for the CB kit is better than empi. Contacted dellorto direct to ask their advice and to see if any other parts were required. They suggested getting the Csp linkage as I have an alternator conversion and the Csp runs across bottom of engine.

Is there any reason that a new pair of Webers aren't as reliable? If heard some say they were more economical....

Cheers
Craig

I'd stick with a single carb every time. Twin carbs look the business and do give you more power when setup properly and there's the issue. You'll be forever having to rebalance them. If you can do this yourself then fair enough. If not then I'd recommend a good progressive single carb. Or fit a scooby engine if you want some proper grunt :)

JcPrints said:
I'd stick with a single carb every time. Twin carbs look the business and do give you more power when setup properly and there's the issue. You'll be forever having to rebalance them. If you can do this yourself then fair enough. If not then I'd recommend a good progressive single carb. Or fit a scooby engine if you want some proper grunt :)
Not sure I agree with this. Once they are balanced and setup you should be fine unless you mess with them. Had mine on for 16 months now and not needed to touch them once they were setup.

Twin carbs will make the biggest difference. we went for a 1641 when getting a new engine as it all helps but if it were one or the other I'd do the carbs first every time

Should probably say this is with the csp bell crank linkage. Maybe other linkages drift?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have a pair of 34's i just bought from Dellorto, and they are the CB kit.
One thing i would say, is ask them to supply the carbs with an F6 emulsion tube, they will say it is not required, but if you read up on all the recent threads on all the forums, you will see it is more than an issue without it, and is the first thing you should do. Otherwise you will be instantly disappointed with them running.

With regard to the linkage, the CSP is preferred, Because if you need to access the carbs to re-jet, or to take them off, or anything similar, the empi and the CB are supported by the filter housings, which means every time you take the filter off and put back on, you have to re-balance (although if you are careful im sure you can do this fine) the bell crank is a centre mount so does not get affected. However, im sure it is all relative.

I will be sticking to the CB kit for now, i am thinking that once they are set up nice, i wont want to fiddle anyway. Plus if i do, it will be gentle and careful so as not to disturb too much.

Latest posts