• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Carbs for 1776

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merlydog

Reaction score
I've got a lovely pair of 36 dells jetted for a 1600/1641. They ran faultlessly on my 1600 but run like a sack of shit on my new 1776 lol. Anyone got the jets required for a 1776 or want to swap for a pair of twin carbs already jetted for 1776? I'm in need of a quick turn around due to moving soon and needing the bus running sweet to get it from brum to london..

What jet sizes do you have at present? I have a set of 32 vents for dells, and a fair few sets of jets.

I'm surprised that they didn't run well though, the step up in cc's not that huge after all. I mean obviously it would have been running a bit lean, but "like a sack of shit"??? Do you have the dellorto superformance book (AKA "The Bible")? Very useful reference for setting up these carbs. And don't let anyone tell you 36's are too small for 1776 - they're very well suited.

Don't have my book to hand but if memory serves you'll want 60 idles, 130 mains and 32 - 35 pump jets, as well as the all important .2 emulsion tubes.

got to be worth giving Eurocarb a ring, they can advise jetting etc....& they post out very quick.
http://www.dellorto.co.uk/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps. London is full...there's no where to park...& postcodes that make insurance companies squeal :mrgreen: :lol:

Lol... Tell me about it harlequin! I've been enjoying the lack of traffic and hussle and bustle of London for three years on a regional posting. Heading back to reality now though :mrgreen: But to a nice part so mustn't grumble ;)

I know Shaun, I'm losing me accent and everything lol!

No garage hoosiboy.. Big drive though so better invest in a protec cover?! :shock:

I've been researching lots tonight and most seen to think 36's with 1600 jetting should still run 'ok' on a 1776 so maybe I need to start again on the timing etc and check everything?

Not wanting to get this moved to technical but they should run ok. First check is that they have sealed on the manifold ok and that there is not an air leak.

Pete

Like Mr Gee said check for air leaks and if they are not balanced right this makes a big difference; but if they run ok on the old engine they should run ok now without messing with the jets :D if you need any advice just drop me a text and I will help you out as much as I can

Thanks boys you were all right, I'd tuned them like a girl and they run almost perfect now. They do have a lump when I floor it but at a guess that's fuel starvation from the stock fuel pump I have. Might fit a regulator/leccy pump eventually but if I drive it smooth then it runs sweet. Panic over and thank you. :mrgreen:

sparkywig said:
The stock fuel pump is more than capable of supplying twin carbs, Sarah, you may need to check your jetting.

A stock pump will work on a mild engine. High revving motors tend to destroy them :lol:

sounds like you need more accelerator pump,bigger jet so it squerts more fuel,if it is clean on light throttle then air correctors should be right.

Merlydog said:
Thanks boys you were all right, I'd tuned them like a girl and they run almost perfect now. They do have a lump when I floor it but at a guess that's fuel starvation from the stock fuel pump I have. Might fit a regulator/leccy pump eventually but if I drive it smooth then it runs sweet. Panic over and thank you. :mrgreen:

What idle jets are you running. I have 53's. Matt suggested I may need 58's when I switch to the 1776. This could help the lag when flooring it. Also, check your timing is good.

Latest posts