carbs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisby

Reaction score
I have an 71 USA import with servo brakes and a 1600 tp. Been trying to get it to run well, got rid of the 009 disy for a standard vac one which has improved things a lot , but the carb is a Brazillian one which I and a good mechanic cant seem to get setup well. Ive been told that there are some Sth African versions available that are of a better quality. Does anyone know anything about these , are they any good , or should i go for a Weber , or what else ? :?

webers are fantastic...made a real difference on my bus. got them from the US as recommended by easy. worth the spend.

Scampi said:
personally i would go for webers or dellortos :lol:

Dual Weber 34 ICTs or Dual Dell'orto 34 FRDs, they will give you a noticeable hike in power and driveability and they should improve your fuel consumption. I've got Dell'orto 34 FRDs on my new 1641 and it'll cruise up up steep hills at 55 all the way in fourth gear. Frankly those Brazilian carbs suck.

MMMC said:
webers are fantastic...made a real difference on my bus. got them from the US as recommended by easy. worth the spend.

wheres the best/cheapest place to buy them?

have a word with easy, he imported his 34icts at a good price.
also they came with a quality linkage, 34icts are great carbs.
little bit more ommph and a little better on fuel when set up right

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
MMMC said:

wheres the best/cheapest place to buy them?

easy recommended CB performance in the US - http://www.cbperformance.com

I ordered mine from them and they turned up in under a week. Great to have a strong pound. The CB performance kit is better than most you can get over here apparently.

The problem with these non vw carb/manifolds is that there dont seem to be any way to hookup the vac pipe for the servo, or is there :?:

Defo go for twin webbers of some kind. I have 34icts from CB Performance in the states. With the carbs and a tune up I gained 20 extra BHP! this is on a standard 1600 remtech engine.

Easy to import them, as they send em direct to you but there is an import tax, which sometimes you pay sometimes you dont. You usually dont have to pay it if you can get someone else to send it to you as a gift!

Great carbs and contain only Weber & CB Performance stuff not some of the cheaper empi replcements that the UK normally stock.

Need any help let me know and I can give you contacts etc. :D 8)

So i need dual or single port?

I have a standard 1600 in a 71 bay... how can i check what the manifolds are? thanks you please! :)

also... do they have to be pancake style filters or will the longer cones/cylindrical type fit?

if your intake manifold is one piece you need a single port kit, if it is a steel center with alloy ends (ie 3 pieces) you need a twin port kit.
you normally get the cone type filters and will need to remove the old air filter mount on the right hand side.
Do it, DO IT NOW! :shock:

if you go for carbs direct from CB performance you get the bigger idf style filters :wink: 8)

like these...super coool

IMG_1372.jpg

yes indeed.. looking good!

Have you 'rolling road' tested her yet? and what kind of power increases and mpg are you getting? Sorry for the questions im trying to convince myself to buy now, not that i need much convincing :)

They give a good increase in power and dont really change your fuel consumption unless you rant them :wink:

Here is mine all set up, you are best off getting the van rolling roaded to obtain the best running performance combined with the timing etc.

PhonePic003-1.jpg

Go for it! 8)

looking good easy.

Yep I need to get on a rolling road if I can only find one in the north! they worth pretty well now but should go even better when I get them finely tuned.

Latest posts