Carburettor woes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
Can anyone advise, my 70 bay started running like a pig with asthma last weekend on the way to volksworld and I assumed it was weak fuel mixture due to the cold

But this weekend, slightly warmer and still the same problem.

They are standard carbs on a 1600 engine

On inspection there appears to be a hole half way down the body, which on a friends car is plugged with some paste or sealant. I suspect that his may be the cause of the trouble as she ran fine 3 weeks ago and this covering may have blown off when driving her

Can anyone advise what material should be used to plug the hole ?

I can and a photo if anyone is interested

I agree, she did backfire a few times last weekend and I suspect that is what blew the plug, but what is he correct material to use to plug it again (and where in he engine bay did the old plug end up is also now in my mind?)

Monty said:
I agree, she did backfire a few times last weekend and I suspect that is what blew the plug, but what is he correct material to use to plug it again (and where in he engine bay did the old plug end up is also now in my mind?)

:shock: Hmm thats a new one on me. Also what caused the backfire? Better sort that. As for the old plug end its probably in the same place as all the wasps,flys,bees and road muck that finds its way into the engine bay.....thats right ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE :lol:

Done some research, it's missing the welch plug which is designed to blow out when the engine backfires to protect the butterfly in the carb

Apparently the hole is a drilling hole when the carb is made, but now my question is where do I get the replacement plug from ?

http://www.vw-resource.com/welch_plugs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for reference

Anyone know where to buy them ?

Solved my own question

http://www.coreplugs.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently the 5/8 inch plugs are the correct ones from what I read elsewhere

Apologies for this slight thread hijack but its related to a question that i have!

My carb is leaking from around this plug that you mention, is there anyway to seal it? if so what do you use? thanks apologies again! :msn4:

Not really sure of the correct product, but the website sells a gasket sealer so I suspect that may be the right thing.

Plugs arrived today and I can confirm that the size mentioned earlier is correct for my carbs..

Latest posts