Carson - My new 68 project..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rallye dale said:
Love this little light rest :lol:

Passes the time though :p

:lol: :lol:

Might be a light resto but I also can't cut corners,

If it makes you feel better, I'm not touching the body/paint and I've got a tatty old engine to go in with no cleaning or polishing etc :roll:

Also got an old Westy interior to fit, I'm basically trying to get it roadworthy and useable as cheap as I can but the underside for me is vital that its all sealed and protected otherwise it won't be doing another 35 years on our roads, not to mention it adds value :msn4:

89Rallye said:
rallye dale said:
Love this little light rest :lol:

Passes the time though :p

:lol: :lol:

Might be a light resto but I also can't cut corners,

If it makes you feel better, I'm not touching the body/paint and I've got a tatty old engine to go in with no cleaning or polishing etc :roll:

:

Cant wait to see that :lol:

Been busy with work the last two weeks so I haven't had any time for the 68,

I've finally finished all the welding underneath,

null_zpsdcd7cc5f.jpg

null_zpsede9af3f.jpg

null_zps70793ea0.jpg

People may cringe but I didn't want to put a full battery tray in as it would damage the rear corners, so I repaired it by making my own.

null_zps7fdff285.jpg

Cut it out,

null_zps0d1f81b4.jpg

And replace with new steel,

null_zps5a03d1e5.jpg

Then got some primer on the centre floor,

null_zps829cf9a3.jpg

Followed by seam sealer,

null_zps7aafb7c7.jpg

And finally stone chip,

null_zpsd6dd6f67.jpg

null_zpse04e718e.jpg

null_zpsfa0a3742.jpg

I knew I should of repaired this as it will look a mess once glossed,

null_zps43020dbc.jpg

Resto-raider said:
Cool topic and not a bad pace. I will keep following this resto

Cheers dude, it's actually not as quick as I'd like but I do have to go to work to pay the bills!

Sorry it's more boring photos but I like to keep it updated as and when as its all dated on here so I can keep track of it.

Front section is now all completed,

Once again, primed with a few runs as the gun threw a wobbler! (Serves me right for being lazy cleaning it out)

null_zps9be9c66d.jpg

null_zps51feae97.jpg

null_zpsb761bb19.jpg

null_zpsdd168fc4.jpg

null_zps043dd722.jpg

null_zps6a4e8909.jpg

Seam sealed, no show stuff here just get plenty on.

null_zps4dc9fa20.jpg

null_zpsab3cd942.jpg

null_zpsa19e534e.jpg

null_zps15629ac9.jpg

And finally stone chipped, nice and heavy round the front arches.

null_zps92fb12b5.jpg

null_zps4c4c2010.jpg

null_zps629b52e0.jpg

null_zps3b036c6d.jpg

And did a few test panels with colours, I think I'm just going to go back white as its the standard colour for this van but I am liking the blues too :roll:

null_zpsf5453ec9.jpg

null_zpsa4a342b9.jpg

null_zps07a23bbf.jpg

null_zpsad618557.jpg

null_zpsbdd49304.jpg

I've got next week off so hopefully upright by the end of the week, hopefully!!

Mark6455 said:
Just in time for camperjam mate :party0006:

Lol camper jam might be pushing it, I was aiming for G.O.T.H in August. With the 71 due back hopefully in the next month then the progress on the 68 is going to slow down.

Been a busy few days,

Started by shot blasting the seams in the battery trays which worked a treat but I probably should of spent more time coving things up.

null_zps0837068b.jpg

null_zps91bd875b.jpg

Got the rear all primed and sealed but ran out of stone chip half way through :x

null_zps39bebf62.jpg

null_zps32ec766a.jpg

null_zps27f1dc6e.jpg

null_zpsd263ace5.jpg

null_zpsaeb68e26.jpg

So onto stage 3, topcoat. Two litres of ral white later... (Although it looks grey in the photos)

null_zps9b506341.jpg

null_zps6762d3a3.jpg

null_zps25ac6881.jpg

null_zps2faf1533.jpg

And onto the rebuild 8)

Sealed all the heater joints with some denzo tape, if I have enough left over then I'll wrap the whole lot.

null_zps1e377a4f.jpg

Nasty stuff to use but works wonders at keeping water out and heat in.

null_zps0fb2a9e3.jpg

Hopefully I'll get all the painting finished tomorrow and have it upright before I'm back at work the weekend.

great work as always mark can't wait to see it on its wheels and rolling and of course once you've finished you'll probably have a few weeks before doddie comes home and be really bored :shock:
In fact that bored i may as well bring old crusty round for a good going over ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blimey! This moved along fast!! I am planning to do what you are doing to the underside very soon, did you just shot blast the whole underside before painting?

Cheers guys, as usual 8)

Whistler said:
Blimey! This moved along fast!! I am planning to do what you are doing to the underside very soon, did you just shot blast the whole underside before painting?

Its the only benefit of working shifts and having 12 days off in every 20 :shock: gives you plenty of time to play.

I've only shot blasted the real rusty bits that needed doing or the stuff I know is a common rust spot (battery trays etc). I've a few different types of shot blaster, all just cheapo amateur DIY stuff really and you limited with what you can do although it would be possible to do the whole lot it would take forever and the mess :x not worth thinking about!

All I have done is scrape off the old under seal, cleaned off all the crap, keyed and degreased it all then etch primer, seam seal, stone chip, top coat and lacquer.

Obviously any holes or rusty bits were addressed along the way, usually shot or spot blasting them then welding etc...

Well finally all the painting is complete! 8)

null_zps3374eda4.jpg

null_zpsbe937bf0.jpg

null_zps82b51dc0.jpg

And I'm pissed off I missed this hole, jumped out when I painted it :( But I'm sure something's been mounted with it inside so it can be used again!

null_zps22e60b49.jpg

And spent about two hours wrapping this up with denso tape, which is nasty stuff at the best of times but it should all be nice warm and water tight now.

null_zpsaf9cd4fd.jpg

null_zpsb8a288a9.jpg

null_zps543dfc68.jpg

null_zps4de72b24.jpg

There will be insulation and then the original cover to go on top of this,

Last job really now underneath is to waxoyl it all.

89Rallye said:
Cheers guys, as usual 8)

Whistler said:

Its the only benefit of working shifts and having 12 days off in every 20 :shock: gives you plenty of time to play.

I've only shot blasted the real rusty bits that needed doing or the stuff I know is a common rust spot (battery trays etc). I've a few different types of shot blaster, all just cheapo amateur DIY stuff really and you limited with what you can do although it would be possible to do the whole lot it would take forever and the mess :x not worth thinking about!

All I have done is scrape off the old under seal, cleaned off all the crap, keyed and degreased it all then etch primer, seam seal, stone chip, top coat and lacquer.

Obviously any holes or rusty bits were addressed along the way, usually shot or spot blasting them then welding etc...

Thanks! Very helpful :) Where you got all the paint from? When I get round to it, I'd like to have it all there ready.

Nice work!

Reminds me a little bit of my current project but I've had to do mine with the bus about 12 inches from my face!!!

Gotta love rollover jigs!

Gill.

Latest posts