Carson - My new 68 project..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whistler said:
Thanks! Very helpful :) Where you got all the paint from? When I get round to it, I'd like to have it all there ready.

Well I'd like to say I support my local paint suppliers but the prices they charge :shock:

I did get my seam sealer and stone chip locally which took 6 cans in total (make sure you buy the over-paintable stuff if you plan on glossing it), etch primer I ordered online (£35 for 5 ltrs compared to £60 locally), the white paint & thinners etc I got from work :roll:

vwgillybilly said:
Nice work!

Reminds me a little bit of my current project but I've had to do mine with the bus about 12 inches from my face!!!

Gotta love rollover jigs!

Gill.

Lol, well as I said a little further back this is all déjà vu for me as this is the second time inside 12 months :cry:

DSCN3872.jpg

My 71 is my baby which has been sleeping in a paint shop the last 5 months :cry:

For a ruthless plug, the full story's here ;)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38541

Little update,

She's finally finished underneath and back on her wheel.

All waxoyl'ing is done, some brake lines are in and I got the heater pipes insulated.

As I said before, done first with denso tape, which should seal it and make it water tight at the same time,

null_zpsfa87ba9e.jpg

Then some bubble/foil insulation..

null_zpseb6d82ea.jpg

Followed finally by the original insulation..

null_zps8bbdefca.jpg

All waxoyl'ed, hard to show but put about 3 ltrs into it all.

null_zpsb87b6d41.jpg

null_zps2a319ee4.jpg

null_zpsce9ccdbc.jpg

And it's back on its feet! Bit of an anti climax because it just looks like a shitty van again :(

null_zps6a4e36a5.jpg

null_zps2dff83de.jpg

Picked some T25 bits up today so I can get on with the front axle, servo and adjusters to go and I might look at fitting power steering and hydraulic clutch since I got the bits for free.

null_zps3637f485.jpg

Little bit of progress with the 68,

Managed to get all the front axle welding done, now all adjustable and servo'd

null_zpsddd0aca9.jpg

null_zpsf223b255.jpg

null_zps0f8f6d96.jpg

Close though on full lock,

null_zps911f9ef9.jpg

null_zps18b45de4.jpg

And I'm expecting problems with the handbrake cables touching too jut I think I've found a solution for that.

All ready for a coat of paint but I'm back to work now, hopefully I'm hoping to have it all rolling by Wed/thurs next week.

Roller is now off and I've touched up behind,

null_zps68af7d76.jpg

Front axle is completed, I stone chipped the ends to add a little protection but really cause I had a little left in the can :)

null_zpsba07fa10.jpg

null_zps1ded7589.jpg

Then etched,

null_zps2caf1d0d.jpg

null_zps7a88869c.jpg

And satin blacked along with everything else,

null_zps51edee82.jpg

null_zps55c4ea84.jpg

null_zpsc737f8cc.jpg

Bit of protection,

null_zps44b9cd08.jpg

null_zps8c50b2cc.jpg

null_zpse8104b73.jpg

And installed although it has to come back out again as I think I have to clearance the chassis now for the brake servo rod.

null_zpsfe7eca41.jpg

null_zps8045784c.jpg

Back on stupid nights now so delayed again.

Ive been what seems like days cleaning parts up,

null_zps03b13c29.jpg

null_zps1f3b964a.jpg

Shotblasted,

null_zps727fa558.jpg

null_zpsc1364b63.jpg

Painted,

null_zps69957491.jpg

And fitted,

null_zpsfdc4d3f4.jpg

Im still waiting on steering parts but decided to put the hubs on try and get the bus outside.

Lucky I checked these though, not what you want coming out of your bearings.. More expense and more delays! :(

null_zps1ae3ee14.jpg

Doesn't stop me mocking it up for now so I can get it rolling again!

null_zpsfe0853bc.jpg

null_zpsc585fb60.jpg

Digging the rake :) might go down a touch more on the front but we'll see.

null_zps28a71f9b.jpg

In its new home for the next few weeks.

null_zpsef31232e.jpg

Also started to pull my bargain eBay engine to bits, it's not looking good and I'm thinking it was cheap for a reason :(

null_zpsc8b10656.jpg

Most of this is mullered,

null_zps00bea222.jpg

null_zps6bbc184c.jpg

Onto the rear suspension and I don't think these brakes have been used for a while!

null_zpsa674216f.jpg

Then, more problems... After spending an hour pulling the n/s drum off due to seized adjusters I found that the handbrake mechanism is missing. I going to put a wanted ad up but if anyone can help with brake parts please let me know.

null_zpseb1f7bc4.jpg

More cleaning ahead..

null_zpseb8b1db2.jpg

your doing a fantastic job there mate reminds me of my split resto back in 2009 just bitten the bullet again and hopefully will be starting a early bay rhd devon

It's been a slow couple of weeks on the 68 with distractions of work and other people's vw's.

Good news is that the rear suspension is now all buttoned up, cleaned painted and refitted with all new bushes etc.

null_zpsfe3bb213.jpg

null_zps6888d172.jpg

null_zpsc7482c85.jpg

Still can't find the brake parts that I'm missing though :(

null_zps0f983dec.jpg

Sitting much better now,

null_zps0183e70f.jpg

null_zps4ecad99e.jpg

New front wheel bearings fitted, backplates took a little fettling as someone had shagged all the mounting holes (hence having to drill the out to 8mm)

null_zps924e84f6.jpg

null_zps6015e434.jpg

Had to make some brackets up for the front brake hoses, all front brake pipes now done..

null_zps80b56ce8.jpg

null_zps60e4776e.jpg

null_zpsa3707dab.jpg

Callipers will be coming off again for a clean and lick of paint,

Slowly feel like I'm braking its back!

Hopefully engine and box next 8)

Whistler said:
What rear parts are you missing?

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=52314

It's mainly the nearside distance bar now, a few places stock then but have them as special order only. If it comes to it I'll just make my own. I did order a new handbrake lever but I think I've go the wrong side :(

Going to bite the bullet and have the drums skimmed and change the shoes etc too as the last thing I want is it to fail the mot for the sake of £30

89Rallye said:
Whistler said:

It's mainly the nearside distance bar now, a few places stock then but have them as special order only. If it comes to it I'll just make my own. I did order a new handbrake lever but I think I've go the wrong side :(

Going to bite the bullet and have the drums skimmed and change the shoes etc too as the last thing I want is it to fail the mot for the sake of £30

Ah I see. Well I have all the parts for narrow 5 conversion and will hopefully be swapping them over in the next week or two, if anything I have is of any help? I have no idea on condition and what not though, as I haven't looked yet. Hopefully painting the hubs and axels of narrow 5 this weekend and maybe cracking off wide 5 stuff next week.

Whistler said:
89Rallye said:
Whistler said:

Ah I see. Well I have all the parts for narrow 5 conversion and will hopefully be swapping them over in the next week or two, if anything I have is of any help? I have no idea on condition and what not though, as I haven't looked yet. Hopefully painting the hubs and axels of narrow 5 this weekend and maybe cracking off wide 5 stuff next week.

Interesting....

I'd certainly be interested in the rear drums, shoes etc obviously depending on there condition once there removed.

I'd also be interested in any wide wheels too if your converting to narrow.

I've now made a distance bar so should be able to at least get things together for an mot but would prefer a genuine part in there.

null_zps938ed432.jpg

On another note, I've had a b@stard couple of days attempting to remove a broken hand brake cable. At least I now know possibly why they never bothered putting the hand brake parts back on the shoes on that side of the van.

Ended up having to cut open the tube,

null_zps2c1735be.jpg

But got the sucker out, god knows how long that's been in there!

null_zps73892c67.jpg

And then wonderfully the new cables where too short :( In fact the cable looks right but the conduit at the rear looks too long.. If that makes sense.

Trying to get air/brake/servo lines etc ran but its taking a lot longer than it should.

null_zps879c9e1f.jpg

Really starting to loose the plot with this van,

Been a slow few weeks on the 68,

Finally started on the engine, stripped cleaned, checked and rebuilt with new pistons/barrels with all new bearings and seals throughout.

null_zpsc8b10656.jpg

null_zps83fd45cc.jpg

null_zpsb6e8a37b.jpg

Fits perfectly :)

null_zps183a86a6.jpg

null_zps97f5b7ed.jpg

Spent a few hours on nights in work playing with my heads :shock:

Just a few before and afters..

null_zpsc058b058.jpg

null_zps95e44ab0.jpg

Casting flashings removed,

null_zps3cb50f50.jpg

null_zpsf36429e5.jpg

You can see how inefficient they are,

null_zps67efa3ef.jpg

null_zps3451126e.jpg

null_zpsdd8fffce.jpg

null_zps763598a3.jpg

null_zps2fe2d8cd.jpg

Anyway got the long block all assembled......

null_zps1cbe85f9.jpg

Then stripped it all down again :( as I had a stud strip when torquing the head down.

null_zps5ec4ab80.jpg

And on a brighter note, I bought some new ultra disgusting wheels. £70 though complete with brand new tyres (even though I doubt I'll use them)

null_zps57c4b304.jpg

35899c0fff8ccc5746b63e493622a6f7_zps628cc0c4.jpg

null_zps75cba493.jpg

I'm thinking shot blasted and painted black?? Although might look weird as I have polished centre caps for them too.

Not managed to get much done the last few weeks with work commitments and other vans,

Anyway a little update,

After having problems with my engine (building and stripping 3 times :( ) I've FINALY got the long block built up today.

null_zps55214ee2.jpg

null_zps8da6172e.jpg

The rocker covers will be coming back off for some painting, I just fitted them to keep the rockers covered.

I've been slowly cleaning and repairing all my shoddy tinware and ancillaries, which is now Frankenstein tinware its been patched that much.

Probably quicker and easier to just replace it but it's all genuine vw stuff so worth saving I think, all cracks repaired and I had to replace a complete corner.

Also filled a few unsightly holes that I won't be using,

null_zps9db19963.jpg

null_zps3d8d8434.jpg

null_zps2920c413.jpg

null_zps307b2fbd.jpg

Still needs holes drilling I know.

null_zpsbbb4e87a.jpg

null_zps8c71bb09.jpg

null_zps120950e8.jpg

null_zpsc897d5e5.jpg

Not going over the top with straightening and painting them just going to smarten them up.

null_zps4493e67f.jpg

null_zpsf3492535.jpg

Now, even though this is all genuine vw stuff the fit on one side is awful.

null_zpsf3f36295.jpg

null_zpsddb363c3.jpg

So I'm not really sure what to do, try to extend some of the tinware to suit or try and seal it when it's finally fitted?

Gutted as I may be forced to sell this soon as My 71 is nearing completion 8) and I'm likely to be needing the cash for that money pit!

Sneak peak, me happy oh yes!! :D

DSCN5153_zpsa793615c.jpg

Anyway,

Thanks to some lovely second hand bargains bought on vzi it's finally starting to look like an engine. 8)

null_zps2a131391.jpg

null_zps6777258e.jpg

null_zpsd8451d83.jpg

Going to be away now, so no more progress for another 2 weeks :(

Also, I'm still on the lookout for a set of twin carbs if anyone can help?

Latest posts