Changing front tyre size?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwinston72

Reaction score
I'm after opinions on my tyre size, currently the set up is 4 inch narrowed beam, silver kyb shocks and 185 60 14 tyres, i'm quite tempted to change the tyre size down to a 185 50 14 or a 185 55 14 as i get a bit of rubbing on full lock and on some bumps at the moment,

Is it worth doing?

Will i just whack the beam instead of the tyres hitting the arches if i go down a size?

and will i need to carry two size spares as the rears are also 185 60 14's or can you get away with it and run one big tyre and one slightly smaller if you absolutely had too?

Apologies if these are ridiculous questions but there ones that i gotta ask someone!

Thanks in advance! :D

You mean the speedos were accurate in the first place !? :)

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

yeah i'm used to that from when it was lowered from stock height i changed the tyres to what they are now i work on a rough 10% out rule for my speedo!

Can't answer your question but this might be usefull to you

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=185-60r14-185-50r14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vwwinston72 said:
I'm after opinions on my tyre size, currently the set up is 4 inch narrowed beam, silver kyb shocks and 185 60 14 tyres, i'm quite tempted to change the tyre size down to a 185 50 14 or a 185 55 14 as i get a bit of rubbing on full lock and on some bumps at the moment,

Is it worth doing?

Will i just whack the beam instead of the tyres hitting the arches if i go down a size?

and will i need to carry two size spares as the rears are also 185 60 14's or can you get away with it and run one big tyre and one slightly smaller if you absolutely had too?

Apologies if these are ridiculous questions but there ones that i gotta ask someone!

Thanks in advance! :D

I'd try a 175/55/15 gives a flat side wall on a 5.5J rim and will pull it in slightly from the lip it will be rubbing on.

It may hit the beam it all depends on how low your van is? There is only one way to find out.

Carry a spare that is between the two, it'll be a pig and will only get you a little way but in an emergency it gets you to a tyre shop at least.

In a months or so's time we will be realeasing a Bay speedo which looks like stock but has digital gubbins behind so will be calibrateable to your tyre size and will be accurate, most of us are on limited milage policies so this will actually save you money in the long term as you'll be getting your money's worth outa the insurance ;)

cheers for the replys,

Thanks alex i'll have a look about for a price on that size tyre and see how i get on, the heads up on the speedo sounds good any idea of the approximate price?

squirt72 said:
Can't answer your question but this might be usefull to you

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=185-60r14-185-50r14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool site, thanks

Speedy cables can recalibrate your stock speedo to your tyre size.

Latest posts