Changing the front beam: Pictorial?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davelarue

Reaction score
I bought a new wagenwest front beam, and need a pictorial showing the steps of removing the old beam and fitting the new beam :)
Anyone know a good pictorial for this?
Thanks a lot. Bus pictures coming soon :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Restore-Volkswagen-Enthusiasts-Restoration-Manuals/dp/1845840933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this book has a good section in it on removing the beam step by step and the pictures are fairly good too. i would scan it for you but would be breach of copyright.

Johnny said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Restore-Volkswagen-Enthusiasts-Restoration-Manuals/dp/1845840933

this book has a good section in it on removing the beam step by step and the pictures are fairly good too. i would scan it for you but would be breach of copyright.

hehe. thanks :)

you might need to source a lenght of scaffold or similar size bar/pipe to lever it off. Even when the bolts are out it will still take some strength to remove it.

Johnny said:
you might need to source a lenght of scaffold or similar size bar/pipe to lever it off. Even when the bolts are out it will still take some strength to remove it.

yeah, so it says :/ oh well, i guess i don't have to worry about the beam falling off during driving...

And don't forget to remove everything that threads through it first - handbrake cables, speedo cable, gear change rod
...guess how I know...muppet. :roll:

Replaiced my beam last year, it sound dauntimg but was quite straight foward to do.
Had this sent from Dandaz, hope he dont mind me posting it again, i found it very handy.
Replaiced mine earlier this year, looks more scary than it is.
Had this email from DanDaz, worked a treat for me

First slacken the wheel nuts
Jack up the axle
Take the road wheels off. Axle stands under the crossmembers.
Take off clutch cable, speedo cable.
Handbrake cable ,this will have a bracket as well..
Take off accelerator cable
Gearshift bar ,both bolts inside van and bolt towards the rear of the bar [usually a square bolt] ,the bar needs to come out...
Steering bar ,undo ball joint near axle [this will have a split pin ,I just remove the bolt and drill the pin out after..]
Speed cable...[split pin at end of hub] just pull it out..

That will take 20 mins...

Undo caliper bolts ,let them hang down...( i supported the weight of mine)
Undo the 4 bolts eitherside that holds the axle in place....The get easier access I take the top shock bolt off and move the shock...

Another 20 minutes...

Have a quick look to see if anything is in the way ,take the jack off ,the beam will stay putt...lol

I have a BIG bar and I put it on the top ball joint and wedge it under the chassis ,and push ,then same again and the otherside...If you have not got a bar jump up and down on the front discs/drums...

Slowely the axle will move ,be carefull before it drops to protect your disc backing plates...[if you have any]

and drag out ...

another 10 minutes..lol

The time is taken up swapping all your stuff ,the get your arms back on you may need to drop a ball joint...

You can get away with just taking away one end off ....Like one side of anti roll bar ,one end of the steering ...

Plenty of grease on the new beam it will just slip on.....

Hope this helps...

Forgot to say, i will be removing mine again poss next week to have some adjusters put on. If i get time i will take some photos for reference. If there is anyone local and want to make it a group pitoral/information time your welcome to join in. :msn4: :lol:

Latest posts