changing tyres WHAT A DIFFERENCE

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montypsx

Reaction score
hi all just had to share this with you. i'm running 175 65 14 car tyres on the front of my dorma and they were looking worn out so i called at my local tyre dealer for a new pair and he had a pair of van tyres he would do them at the same price to clear them out as he had them for some time. what a difference its made its like driving a new bus :shock: :shock: its better round corners dosent roll about in a straight line. its a lot easier to drive with side winds (the knuckles dont go white :lol: ) and stops better. both sets of tyres are made by the same company so the only thing i can put it down to is the fact that i'm using the proper rated tyres for the bus and what an amazing difference it is, so i wont be using car tyres again but i had to tell you lot. :mrgreen: has this happened to anybody else. cheers phil

Thanks for telling us, it seems to have solved a heap of problems.

What spec are you now running? Stock spec?

of course it will handle better with van tyres on, they should be 8 ply cars are only 4 the sidewalls aren't flexing as much now so you feel better and are safer, i had really cheap van tyres on mine when i got it and just going up to expensive van tyres solved a world of wandering and sloppy steering

I also had the driving on bags of jelly experience then swapped fronts to light-commercials. :)

Are commercials (light or otherwise) the same or similar to reinforced wall car tyres? Just been ringing around to get some prices on 4 new tyres and was looking at some reinforced wall tyres with speed/load rating of 88/92 for front/back respectively?

Might go back to the drawing board now and consider some commercials though after reading this.

Just to also affirm - I had some lovely US whitewalls on my van when I got it, but not knowing the history and also to attempt to improve handling I stumped for some commercial tyres (bus is stock wheels but lowered) and agree, it makes a hell of a difference in a cross wind :D

Think with the low profile tyres you don't have the sidewall to flex, it's just those on stock wheels with car rather than commercial tyres installed that have the bottom clenching moment in a side wind :shock:

Delilahtoo said:
Thanks for telling us, it seems to have solved a heap of problems.

What spec are you now running? Stock spec?

sorry for the delay i'm running dropped spindles on the front with gsf coil overs and horse shoe plates on the rear with 185 r14 tyres and alls well (well up to yet it is) :lol: :lol: cheers phil

Latest posts