What am I doing wrong

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Help before I put a grinder on this. The steering wheel isn’t budging. Puller in place. C shaped steering wheel puller in place. Torque on. Percussion shock to side of wheel. Plastic disintegrating. O idea where to go now

Attachments

• IMG_6709.jpeg
    IMG_6709.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Help before I put a grinder on this. The steering wheel isn’t budging. Puller in place. C shaped steering wheel puller in place. Torque on. Percussion shock to side of wheel. Plastic disintegrating. O idea where to go now
Heat the steering wheel up. Carefully!!
Hairdryer or boiling water. 🌈👍

I’ve ordered a 2nd C removal tool. Cheers for the ideas. I’m going to wait for it to turn up heat the wheel tighten the puller and give a a tap. If I do it all it may just work. Thanx everyone.

Give the top of the puller a couple of whacks with a hammer.
Or if you're not worried about damaging the horn wire, just undo the nut until there's a couple of threads left and give the nut a couple of whacks. This should shock the wheel off.
Works for me every time, I've never used heat, water or pullers.

I’d also try spraying some penetrating fluid around the splines, and then leave the puller in place overnight. Put as much torque on as you can without it damaging anything (I’ve bent one of those C ‘washers’ before when trying to remove a very stubborn wheel!)

😂😂😂I’ve bent mine. Just ordered a new one from buttys bits. I’m going to put 2 on apposing each other and see how it goes. Gave the wheel a smack last night no movement. I’m going to do it again today. It’s not going back on as the plastic is in bad shape.

I had 2 steering wheels and shafts that came with my bus in the parts pile , I tried heat, impact , penetrating oil, pullers, etc. the only thing that got it off both shafts was the cutting wheel. Too much corrosion between shaft splines and wheel hub

I’ve never been able to get mine off. Tried everything, and bent up one of those puller washers.
It’s staying on until I have to cut it off I guess? It’s in decent nick so I just leave it for now.

I used one of the Buttys bits attachments with a three legged puller…..took a LOT of pressure before it came off (flew off) with a big bang

The shock technique with the tool from Neil @ Litesteer is how we get all of ours and customer ones off.

Yup that was me! I found the three legs just wouldn’t stay on the Buttys tool. And the puller wouldn’t stay centralised either. So using the new bearing puller from screw fix solved all those issues and literally took 5mins.
If anyone wants to borrow it rather than buy a new one, happy to send via post at cost. I’m unlikely to need to use it again.

Latest posts