charging problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow-lane-Matt

Reaction score
Anyone got any pointers on this.

If I charge up battery with charger, and turn engine over without dizzy, it will happy turn for over a minute before starting to fade - so battery ok ?

When engine rev'ed voltage on battery goes up to 13.6 v - so generator is charging

(red generator light goes off when engine fires up)

So all seems fine - yet after charging battery with charger, after a 30 minute journey with no lights/wipers/radio on, the battery is flat...
(weer weer weeeer, spins engine very slowly then gives up)

I did think it could be a faulty leisure battery somehow draining the starter battery - so pulled that out - no difference

I did the test of pulling both cables off generator and voltage on smaller (regulator connector) went up to 30/40 volts - so generator seems ok

The battery is about a year old, so reluctant to replace that but I guess that is the obvious problem ?

Does anyone have any ideas before I spend £60 on a battery I may not need...?

Before you get a new battery, can you check the starter is disengaging as that's about the only thing that would drain that amount of juice in thirty minutes. The obvious test would be to go for a little spin for ten minutes or so then park with two wheels on the kerb and slide under to see if your starter is hot. Be careful and use a thermometer or you might burn yourself. (ACE) I can't think of anything else apart from possibly a jammed radio cassette with an amp or a combination of stuff, that and maybe running the battery at almost flat for a year or so. Any fuses blowing occasionally? Is this also the reason for a new battery a year back perhaps, just trying to get a little background, wouldn't hurt to remove the battery earth lead and give it a huge clean up at both ends and where it connects i.e. The terminal and the chassis / body.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,the dark art of lecker tricks :mrgreen:

Pop to Halfords- get them to load test your battery. Doesn't cost anything, and answers your question :)

I had similar after playing with my tow bar wiring, I manage to get the earth wire wrong so it was discharging the brand new battery very quickly. If you have been doing something electrical up to this point I'd look there if not do Ozzie,s suggestion and if it's not hot get a new battery

Thanks for the good comments - I think I found the problem - but not had time to test yet. The thick cable from generator to reg had a homemade
crimp connection - which came apart with slight tug. I have soldered new connector.

With my limited knowledge of electricity it might be the poor connection could provide correct voltage - but not deliver the amps...

So battery charges very (too) slowly. Would also explain the red generator light working as it should, as current was flowing the right direction, just not enough if it

Latest posts