chassis rot

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark6455

Reaction score
:evil:
Well i thought i may as well start another rotten chassis thread and gauge the experts reaction.
It all started yesterday.I went to my mates garage to change the offside wheel bearing and as it was up on the ramps and my mot is due this thursday i thought id have a poke around underneath. :shock:

The first little poke created this

then this

which then expanded

so today i took the right side belly pan off and

And this came to mind

so now im wondering if i should cut the left side and centre pan off or leave it as at the moment they look ok

more to come

mark

Sad sight mark :(
I think you'll need to remove the centre pan to properly repair the chassis rail this side though, once this sides all sorted then take the left hand side off and sort that, I wouldn't like to take too much metal out, without putting some back first :(

Edit: sparky beat me to it :)

Yes I've done it! Nightmare
Money pit! 18 months still not finished
I've got some threads on this some where!

doh!

but all looks straight forward repairs. At least there's no bodge job repairs over it. The thing that killed me wasn't the rot, it was the three extra layers of chassis previous owners had welded over the rot making things ten times worse

Exactly what I did an wished I didn't lol, but least I know I'm gonna be structurally sound now for many more years.

Feel your pain! had exactly the same on mine, but im glad i took the pans off to check.

Once its done you know its solid.

Will you do it yourself or get someone to do it?

Thanks dude.
I'll have to get someone to do it as i cant weld so im gonna shop around for a few prices

Mark

Gutted for you Mark.
But to echo what others have said: glad you caught it now and "luckily" it doesn't look too bad.
Good luck with it all and keep us updated!

Mark6455 said:
Thanks dude.
I'll have to get someone to do it as i cant weld so im gonna shop around for a few prices

Mark

Maybe you could find a local mobile welder who would let you do the cutting out, cleaning up, prep etc yourself to save a few bob ?

We've all found ourselves at the stage you are, it's graft and it's money , but the end result is always worth the effort put in .
Don't put too much pressure on yourself , chill out and just take it all as it comes, good luck !

Yep been there before :lol:

DSCN1551.jpg

It'll get sorted soon enough mark, the you'll be back scraping the streets :lol:

89Rallye said:
Yep been there before :lol:

DSCN1551.jpg

It'll get sorted soon enough mark, the you'll be back scraping the streets :lol:

:lol:
Thanks mark hope so need to be ready for Datc

gvee said:
Gutted for you Mark.
But to echo what others have said: glad you caught it now and "luckily" it doesn't look too bad.
Good luck with it all and keep us updated!

Thanks George will do

Ps door being dropped off tomorrow

Hey Mark, mine was worse! Save your money, measure the chassis parts you need and go to the local steel stock holders and get them to fold it up in 3mm sheet. It would about £30, you get a better deal if you take a box of teabags with you! :lol:

Regards, Si

bluenose said:
doh!

but all looks straight forward repairs. At least there's no bodge job repairs over it. The thing that killed me wasn't the rot, it was the three extra layers of chassis previous owners had welded over the rot making things ten times worse
Agree fully with that!! Not what you want to find just before summer :cry:

Bummer Mark. We need to learn the dark art of welding. You up for a course if I can find one local?

Heebee_GB said:
Bummer Mark. We need to learn the dark art of welding. You up for a course if I can find one local?

Learn the dark art. I put it off for years and did a course last year. Can't recommend it enough. Get stuck in.

Latest posts