Chopping front arch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, had to concede the old girl needs to come off the road for a while for resto work, so ordered a few panels and got stuck into the n/s front arch today. I'm very inexperienced on panelwork but re-skinned the n/s door last year with a new bottom third inner/frame and although it took a long time I did a nice job.
Anyway, I'm not having the best of luck seperating the arch from the wheel tub, it seems to have hundreds of spot welds and I'm trying to not damage the edge of the tub as most of it is good metal. I'm starting to think I'm better off replacing the tub for the grief I'm having, am I wasting my time drilling all these f****** welds out?
Do you guys use those funny little spot weld drills that have reverable heads that unscrew? I seem to have blunted a few tips pretty quickly and then realised my cheapo drill's speed setting isn't working and I'm running the drill way too fast for the spot weld drill. I spend most of my time slipping with the poxy drill :(

Mags

done loads,its a ball ache but the only way i found to do it is cut of arch just outside of tub (get it out of the way) then grind of spot welds,last one i did took 35mins,but i then spoted the new arch in and it looked stock 8) just take it steady and if you can get spot welder its a lot quicker to fit.

Snap! I started the same job today.
I always centre punch first to stop the drill slipping. Using plenty of cutting fluid & drill speed are key to a long drill life ;)
I'm waiting for panels for the rear end so thought I'd have a look at the n/s arch & bulkhead.
Worse than I'd thought, PO had welded repair panels over the rot. :evil:
You got any pics?
11ll820.jpg
1zzqmo8.jpg

67 Panel
'Kin ell 35 mins, thats bloody good going. I fannied around for ages today and didn't achieve much at all.
Are you grinding the welds from underneath? I guess you are?

s4lco
Of course, lube the drill bit, should have thought of that, thanks.

Will try to add a couple of pics
IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

Mags

was an air grinder ,use 2mm?cutting discs as well ,and i was f**ked after!!!,looks like standard rot on yours ,cut out to good on will last anouther 20+years

Latest posts