Clear Dizzy Caps!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genchy

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience of these?

I have had one fitted to my Bay and it was on there when i bought it. It's all very flash and its nice to see those little sparks flying but it is just a gimmic in my opinion!

It's handy for me to see that the spark on one of the terminals is weak but i think that is because the cap is rubbish. When i put my finger near it it draws power from me at an amazing rate? Has anyone got one or had one before?

I have been to GSF and got an OE one now, while i was there went a little crazy and bought a Bosch Blue Coil, some plugs, leads and some new air hoses.....oops! Oh well :wink:

Let me know your thoughts on these, maybe i just have a bad one?

Cheers,

Kev

Hello dude, I had a OE one for years and it worked fine. I have since changed to a clear red one and..............it still works fine :D No problems at the moment. I have heard stories about some breaking etc but have not witnessed one that has gone wrong in the flesh.

I have seen loads of original ones that have nackered, so I suppose its a case of suck it and see. I also have a blue coil with red leads and have had no problems.

Engine2.jpg

Thanks Easy,

Maybe i have just had a poor one then but it is definately not working as it should. That said the proof is in the pudding and i will see once i have replaced it with the new one.

Touch wood all goes well on mine and yours continues to run well also, your engine bay looks very tidy.

Kev

Fingersd crossed fella!

I do keep an original one in me tool box though! you never know!

Engine bay has changed recently so will update with new pics soon. Pulleys changed etc 8)

easy said:
Fingersd crossed fella!

I do keep an original one in me tool box though! you never know!

Engine bay has changed recently so will update with new pics soon. Pulleys changed etc 8)

I had one on my old T25, got it at vanfest. It had packed up by Bristol on the way back, luckily I had kept the old one. I think the gimmick statement at the begining was about right. It is not as if you can see it working when you are driving along.

Changed it last night and what a difference with just the Cap changed :D Then went and changed the plugs, coil and HT leads it is running like a dream now well chuffed.

Now that it is done it has become apparent that it wasn't just carb icing that was unsettling my tickover on start up as it is so much better now.

Have kept the old cap/coil etc in the van, as Speedwell68 pointed out it's handy to have :D

Speedwell68 I notice that you have your meetings at the Mermaid Pub at Porth. I used to go there in the summer months as i used to take my lad to Porth Beach CP for our hols. A freind of mine owns Jasmine House on the Henver Rd (and a Late Bay) and we used to use the Mermaid as our local, may try and drop in on you guys at some point as we will be down there alot this year.

Catch you later,

Kev

I would never fit a see through cap to a customers car, they have a reputation for breaking, cracking & just missbehaving.

The best thing to use is a standard Bosch one. It might be worth getting an electronic ignition kit too. Kingfisher Kustoms do an EMPI one that works great for about £30. You need to set the timing with a strobe light after though as it will throw the timing out.

Call Fishers, & tell em I sent you...

Genchy said:
Changed it last night and what a difference with just the Cap changed :D Then went and changed the plugs, coil and HT leads it is running like a dream now well chuffed.

Now that it is done it has become apparent that it wasn't just carb icing that was unsettling my tickover on start up as it is so much better now.

Have kept the old cap/coil etc in the van, as Speedwell68 pointed out it's handy to have :D

Speedwell68 I notice that you have your meetings at the Mermaid Pub at Porth. I used to go there in the summer months as i used to take my lad to Porth Beach CP for our hols. A freind of mine owns Jasmine House on the Henver Rd (and a Late Bay) and we used to use the Mermaid as our local, may try and drop in on you guys at some point as we will be down there alot this year.

Catch you later,

Kev

Is that the Bay across the road from the market? If you are down this summer pop into the Mermaid I'll buy you a beer, people come down from all over the country.

Dont worry, we will be there soon dude. More sessions at the tattooist so will be there loads :D

I'll see you at the Mermaid too - we stay at my brother-in-laws place at the top of the hill - Tuesday night is Quiz Night, Wednesday VW's - Rock & Roll!!!
;)

Speedwell68, the very same mate :D Sort of a plum colour, he manages to patch it up himself each year for the MOT. Always going on about selling it but never has in all the years i have known him :wink:

Will pop in for that beer mate, let you know when we are down next. Will be there in the bay as well.

Looks like you are getting some more visitors too 8)

Cheers,

Kev

Latest posts