Clutch cable

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My clutch cable snapped when I was away and finally had RAC recovery to get me home. I have anew cable from Schofield but am unable thread it down the tube . Is there a fix? I threaded some strong steel wire from back to front, but the new cable going in from the front will not go beyond a certain point . Any advice please . Thanks

It was about a foot from the clutch end and it’s blocking much earlier as I try and get it down the tube. Should I be trying to get some grease in there or some lubricant . I’ll stick at it thanks .

It was about a foot from the clutch end and it’s blocking much earlier as I try and get it down the tube. Should I be trying to get some grease in there or some lubricant . I’ll stick at it thanks .
I've always found that it's easier to remove the conduit at the clutch end,then feed the cable through it and refit the conduit with the cable already init.cable normally snaps at the conduit joint to the chassis

I’ve been through again with the strong steel wire both ways. As soon as I try the cable it stops maybe about a foot in . I think I’ve reached the end of my attempts with this and going to have to get help. Thanks for your advice .

I had this with my throttle cable about 15ys ago, I found the area of the block and sliced it with a grinder slitting disc, opened it up and pulled out the shit, put a load of grease in, bent it back over added some grease on the outside. It still looks like the day I did it to this day

Well I did it but it was a little unconventional. It was sticking very early on down the tube so I got past this by pinching the cable with mole grips. I then hit these and got past the difficult bit and did that again when it got hard to push. I took the conduit tube off near the clutch end and after much effort it came through . I attached the clip on the pedal end and screwed the wing nut on the clutch end . I’m almost done, needs some adjustment. Not easy doing all this lying out on the road .

Sometimes you can take the remnants of the snapped cable, begin to unwind the end so that it still fits down the tube, then attach the other end to a cordless drill. Get that on high speed and it acts like a wire brush which might clear an old grease blockage, or a patch of rusty goodness.

Latest posts