Clutch fun

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apsule

Reaction score
Hey people, hoping you can help identify a clutch plate. Attached photo is from last time the clutch went. The plate on the left is the one that was fitted in the van when I got it that is showing the wear. The one on the right was ordered from just campers, but didn't fit as it was too deep for the bell housing.
Last time around the mechanic found one that fitted, but I have carelessly worn it out again and am now wondering what I need to look for.
Anyone recognise it?
1000010118.jpg
Thanks for any help. Would love to be able to drive without it slipping and squealing.

Hey people, hoping you can help identify a clutch plate. Attached photo is from last time the clutch went. The plate on the left is the one that was fitted in the van when I got it that is showing the wear. The one on the right was ordered from just campers, but didn't fit as it was too deep for the bell housing.
Last time around the mechanic found one that fitted, but I have carelessly worn it out again and am now wondering what I need to look for.
Anyone recognise it?
View attachment 5789
Thanks for any help. Would love to be able to drive without it slipping and squealing.
Ps. Forgot to mention its from a 71, originally USA spec but pretty sure the gearbox has been replaced and know that the engine has. 1600 single port. Anyway, with all the running gear changes I guess the clutch is not stock ..

Hi there, that is the pressure plate and the one on the left is exactly the same as my one fitted on a stockish engine. If you have ‘ carelessly ‘ worn out your clutch again, I doubt very much that your pressure plate will need changing again that soon. Im assuming it hasn’t taken long. If it needs sorting, it’ll maybe be just the clutch ‘ driven ‘ plate which goes under that one. Have you at any time adjusted your clutch cable ? As slipping clutch can mean the cable is too tight, and squealing usually indicates a thrust bearing issue which indeed can be caused by the clutch cable being a bit overly tight. Whereabouts are you ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, you’re the first to admit it! Carelessly worn out :ROFLMAO: :cool::ROFLMAO:

Thanks mate, thats useful info. I am hoping to avoid a situation where I take it to the garage, they take out the engine etc and then find they cant get the part - as they dont want to leave it outside overnight but are also reluctant to push it in and out every day.
The squealing started after an issue with sticky brake calipers ("just drive it a bit, they will release....." another story) Anyway, I reasoned that the extra load on the clutch driving with the brakes on had damaged it.
I am in Hereford

id have a look at your clutch cable adjustment before anything else, how tight is it at the wing nut on the arm on your bell housing ? This does sound likely to be the issue moreso than your driving style.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,anyone near Hereford look at his clutch cable ? :)

The standard clutch size is 200mm and you can check yours by measuring it.

There are a few clutches for air-cooled VW Type 1, 2, & 4 style engines! From about the mid-1970s, the VW 1600 Type 2 clutch was of 215 mm diameter, in common with the VW 1800 Type 4 engines. The VW 1700 Type 4 used either a 200 mm or 210 mm diameter clutch and the VW 2000 Type 4 exclusively used a 228 mm diameter clutch.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Will have a crawl about this weekend and see if I can adjust the cable as a first task.

Latest posts