Coil troubles

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny1975

Reaction score
Hey all

I have trouble with sorting which wires connect to which terminals on my coil. I have a manual and have poured over without success. It's a 1972 westy. I looked through forums but can't identify correct colored wires. I will add pictures . Any help would fantastic.

Thx

Danny

Attachments

• 20230710_134314.jpg
    20230710_134314.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230713_084607.jpg
    20230713_084607.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230713_084617.jpg
    20230713_084617.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
You should have two regular wires going to the coil the live should go to the positive terminal and the negative terminal should go straight to your distributor. If you aren’t sure which one is live, put a tester or a light bulb on the wire with the ignition on, it will light up if there’s any current in there. Test until you have found a live, then the rest should be plain sailing.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,catch you in a field somewhere :)

Thanks for that. Maybe I have another issue. There is a brown wire, red wire, grey with green stripe, and a tan wire that are stumping me. I have ignition key engaged power I know for sure. But the other few i mention seem to go nowhere.

Thoughts?

All the circuits are on here. This is the T2 page Click on the diag you want. At the top of the page there all the types. Check that the "tan" wire is not actually white! Black is usually switched live. that red probably is batt pos to charging system? Check those in line crimps by pulling as hard as you can and if they pull apart then they are not correctly made and can fail later. The grey wire with the green stripe is diagnostic socket an orange 13 from coil which you can delete All the diagnostic wires have an orange highlighted circle. The attached diag shows this at the ign coil N. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

Attachments

• type3_72b.jpg
    type3_72b.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts