Cold engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having now put the bus together ready for MOT. I am running the engine, when it was sat stationary idling I had no issues but now I'm driving it all but 20m at a time it it needs some revs. Is this normal when bus is cold. Should I let it warm up before driving it? I have a 20 mile trip to MOT centre down the M4, I know carb needs properly setting up. It's brand new just a bit of advice please.

First proper drive tomorrow to MOT I have 6kg fire extinguisher ready to go for its maiden trip.

I`ve got twin carbs on mine with no choke, so yes I do have to warm it for a little bit, but I`m talking thirty seconds or so to make it driveable, but it don`t get up to good to go for it, for a good five minutes or so depending on how cold it is outside. Although Volkswagen themselves recommend to drive from cold and warm it up on the move, you should never ever ever cane a cold engine, as that`s when the damage can be done. If you haven`t run this for a while, check your oil before you go and take some spare, check it again after five miles, if it`s the same drive it for the twenty miles, but check it again when you get there. Until you understand exactly how much oil your motor uses just check it loads, once you know it by familiarity then you can slow down on the checks. It`s just too easy to cook a motor through oil loss. When running mine in, I used zero oil, I changed it etc etc got a couple of thousand on the clock blah blah blah :roll: But my bus uses no oil at all that`s noticeable unless either I`m hitting loads of hills with a load on or if I`m being silly and playing racing drivers on the ring roads and motorways and caning it. Check your oil with your motor stone cold and allow the oil to be up to the top mark, if you then run the motor and check it after thirty seconds (stop it first) :lol: you`ll notice that the oil level is slightly down the stick which it should be because the oils gone into all the little nooks and crannies.You shouldn`t really fill up a hot motor to bang on the topmark. Might be worth checking your tyre pressures (again) one more time :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, AND!!! Good luck for your Mot :mrgreen:

Cheers Ozzie, going to drive it to the MOT station tomorrow it will be sat there and MOted on Monday. 5 years to get to this point don't want to kill it on first run considering I rebuilt the engine and have never done this before. By the way cheers to all that have helped me to get to this stage

The van got to the MOT centre. Started off ok but 10 miles in loosing power on the slightest incline. Stalled as a got to junction and popped a bit as I dipped the clutch. I am not that bothered as I knew the carb needed setting better than it was and this was its first run out. So 20 miles done minor issues. Hopefully have a ticket by Monday evening

Latest posts