Commer Vans

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishpete

Reaction score
I'm considering something a little fun in addition to the Bay, has anyone got any experience of these little beauties?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Commer_FC_van_Bj_ca_1968_photo_2008.JPG#mediaviewer/File:Commer_FC_van_Bj_ca_1968_photo_2008.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My dad had one when I was young, an ex bt van, he loved it and would love another, all I know is they are slow and noisy, but the engine is between the front seats so they are always warm.

sunnycitrus002.jpg

8)

Exactly. They hate us because they can't afford a VW van.
They want to be different.
But I like them a lot too.

And a bit more rare but also cool IMHO, a Ford Econoline ;

FordEconolinePickupLG.png

AxlFoley said:
...all I know is they are slow and noisy, but the engine is between the front seats so they are always warm.

They sound like the perfect vehicle to me. :lol:

Love the Sunny Citrus bus (featured in the Hayburner 12).

K

I saw one that was slammed a while back and with the skirts around the edge it looked awesome - like it was floating. I've got my eye on one with a supercharged V8 engine. Just got to get the wife onside ;)

The owner of this little gem was a great guy, we talked for quite a while, let my 3 old climb in and pretend to drive her. Then came looked over our 71 westy. Hope I posted the picture ok :oops:

Always loved Commers.

Here's a link to a Commer forum. :)
http://forum.commervanfan.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I remember helping my mum & dad wet & dry a dark blue J4 van. Tips of fingers pouring with blood meant I'd done enough!
The van had windows but I don't think it was a mini bus. It was hand painted by the side of the road & came up really nice.
It sold straight away for £80. My dad let me hold the cash - four £20 notes - the first I'd ever seen.
This was about 1965 & I would have been 7 or 8.

J2s always looked like they were about to roll over, such was the "tuck" iof the wheels. They probably wouldn't need a narrowed beam.

I had one once when in the building trade and it wouldn`t carry too much weight :? It also was a bugger to start, the turning circle was not so good either :roll: he was awfully slow and hopeless on fuel but there was loads of space and he had side loading doors which was a bit of a novelty :p it was better than walking with all your tools,,,,,,,,,, just :lol: I didn`t keep him too long :mrgreen:
I had a J4 pick up for a while as well and a smashing old camper that was an Austin J.U. that was much the same as ^^^ his name was Puff The Tragic Wagon and I lived in him through the week while working away down at Taunton and came home on the weekends loaded up with Somerset cider for me and my mates on a Sunday afternoon :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Happy happy days :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest posts