Converting a sliding door to hinged doors?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamos

Reaction score
I am planning on converting my bay to hinged cargo doors instead of the sliding door ans was wondering if anyone else had done the same.

The main reasons for this are I want to widen the wheel base and fit wider arches and the sliding door will hit the arches. Also I am planning on an external roll cage in the future and this will also get in the way of the sliding door.

I think some Brazilian bays had hinged cargo doors but I have no idea where I would get some from.

Any thoughts?

Paul

What are you planning on doing to need an external roll cage?

I have already rolled my van once but that is not really the reason for wanting a roll cage.

I love the off-road/ expedition vehicle look and that is the look I am going for for the van.

I know it may sound silly to go to all this work just for looks but just look at the trouble people go to to lower a vehicle just for looks.

Paul

could convert the slider to "gull wing" been done a few times
The one I recall is the Matrix bus,,,I don't like it & haven't seen it around
for several years

I don't like that either. I did contemplate a horizontally split so the top bit swings up and the bottom swings down but I think normal splitty style doors will be better in practice.

Paul

mamos said:
I have already rolled my van once but that is not really the reason for wanting a roll cage.

I love the off-road/ expedition vehicle look and that is the look I am going for for the van.

I know it may sound silly to go to all this work just for looks but just look at the trouble people go to to lower a vehicle just for looks.

Paul
Yes, it's one of the silliest things I've ever read on this forum!

I absolutely agree with the view that 'it's your bus, your rules', but that doesn't stop me wondering why you would want to do this to a bay. There are plenty of great T3s syncros out there that might offer an off-road alternative, if that is your thing. Just a thought. :idea:

youi could look at the fleetline busses as a donor vehicle they have that type of door set up, i believe they're a south African bus

When I look at some of the modifications carried out in the name of fashion such as extreme lowering etc and fitting watercooled engines I am surprised that my suggestions have raised any eyebrows.

There will be minimal modifications to the body and certainly nothing that couldn't be reversed so I don't see what the problem is.

Most of the modifications will be to an already knackered sliding door that need replacing anyway.

Paul

mamos said:
When I look at some of the modifications carried out in the name of fashion such as extreme lowering etc and fitting watercooled engines I am surprised that my suggestions have raised any eyebrows.

There will be minimal modifications to the body and certainly nothing that couldn't be reversed so I don't see what the problem is.

Most of the modifications will be to an already knackered sliding door that need replacing anyway.

Paul

i think your fine creating something different sometime a really good different modification looks amazing a military off road bay with swung cargo doors why not

RichardAlexander said:
i think your fine creating something different sometime a really good different modification looks amazing a military off road bay with swung cargo doors why not

Totally agree, it will be easily reversible though.

I've always preferred the split side doors on a Splitty bus, but preferred the general look of the bay.

I think it will look great, go for it dude, just make sure you have a build thread so we can follow the progress :mrgreen:

cunning plan said:
RichardAlexander said:

Totally agree, it will be easily reversible though.

I've always preferred the split side doors on a Splitty bus, but preferred the general look of the bay.

I think it will look great, go for it dude, just make sure you have a build thread so we can follow the progress :mrgreen:

Thanks CP

I will definitely be doing a build thread. Got a massive amount of restoration work to do before I get to do the modifications but I will get there.

Paul

Disappearing Car doors...

http://thehigherlearning.com/2014/12/29/this-company-is-making-retractable-disappearing-car-doors-a-reality-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.disappearing-car-door.com/dcd/company-jatech-llc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Few vids on Youtube...

This sounds like a cool build
I do like a Baja bus and will look forward to the build thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts