Cool running

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejones's

Reaction score
Just after a few pointers. Out engine recently cooked no4 piston - the reason looking like a loose cylinder head allowing it to run lean on one cylinder - the other 3 were fine.

The engine (1641 twinport) has now been rebuilt and ive junked the 009 dizzy in favour of the old vac advance one. Ive static time the engine to 7.5 drgrees BTDC and set the carb to 'haynes' settings. The bus starts and runs well, but im nervous about cooking the engine. I cant get it booked in to be setup for at least a fortnight, but we need to use it next weekend - for about a 200 mile round trip.

Its there anything i can do for now to ensure the engine runs as cool as possible - I'll be taking it steady anyway as its on new crank bearings/piston rings.

Cheers.

Perhaps it is time to invest in a temperature gauge?
Just gives you an indicator of changes, so you'll know better when to slow down and/or stop when required

bluenose said:
is it SVDA or vac only dizzy you got?

Vac only. I've heard there not really suited to twinport. Do the SVDA make a noticeable difference?

yea that's what I'm thinking. Is it a 34pict3 carb? I think it's got the wrong vac signal for your dizzy so you won't get right advance

bluenose said:
yea that's what I'm thinking. Is it a 34pict3 carb? I think it's got the wrong vac signal for your dizzy so you won't get right advance

Yeah, 34 pict 3. It runs better than the 009 at the mo though. Think I'll grab one of the £35 jobbies off eBay.

Latest posts