could have lost the bus this afternoon (pics)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Reaction score
out in the bus this afternoon and got a strong whiff of petrol..pulled over asap and was greeted with full spewing out of the fuel filter.

let me just say...I have a fuel cut off solenoid fitted & a filter the other side of the bulkhead tin.

I have heard of the plastic filters bursting so I bought a new glass filter from megabug and fitted it this time in the engine bay.my thinking was...
a)don't want a cheap plastic filter bursting.
b)glass filter is re usable & looks better.
c)a glass filter screws together so it secure against bursting.
d)if its in the engine bay,I can keep an eye on it as I always check the engine bay before I even start the engine.
e)easier to clean it out in the engine bay.

mostly C though! anyway the glass filter has some how come apart.of course I checked it before fitting it.even now I cannot get the filter together enough to get the thread to take on the end piece.

for years I've used the cheap £1.50 disposable filters without a problem.spent £10 on this thing and it could of cost me my bus!!! not happy.:evil:

5c18f307-710e-57b3.jpg

5c18f307-7127-7684.jpg

5c18f307-739d-3c65.jpg

going to give megabug a call on Monday.I'm sure they will replace/refund.

I've done all I can to prevent a bus fire...new R9 hose,brass inlet/outlets safety wired,correct hose clamps,firetec fitted,cut off solenoid,yet this piece if equipment let me down,so a reminder to ......CHECK YOUR GLASS FILTERS peeps !!! :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Glad you caught it in time!

Those things have always scared me. The plastic ones are actually pretty safe. But.... I use a metal disposable filter UNDER the Bus. No worries then.

ive seen a few posts on the net,about the screw together filters coming apart, :evil:
and a few sayin that the plastic ones dont fail.. :?

id go with the placcy one ,
tucked away behind the tin by the gear box,[if it leaks the fuel will go onto the floor,]
and keep the filter b4 the pump to avoid pressure on it.
just my 2cents worth.. ;)

Wow, glad caught it on time!!

I too have mine mounted under the bus. Nice thing about having a lift in the garage, makes it a lot easier to change it!! Mine is a cheap plastic one too.

Did you really fit that in the high pressure line after the pump?

Fit it under the tank, not in the engine compartment. :)

Glad you didn't lose your bus :)

theres plenty of metal filters you can get ,ford fiesta,vauxhall ect with push on pipes,peugeot/citreon do one as well,cheap from your local factors ;)

Tofufi said:
Did you really fit that in the high pressure line after the pump?

Fit it under the tank, not in the engine compartment. :)

Glad you didn't lose your bus :)

totally agree
theres no need for a filter in the engine bay :|

chris

Doris, throw the glass one away. I had one do exactly the same but luckily the van was stationary. The filter came apart as i held it to check how dirty it was. It was quite a shock. Since then I have used VW golf filters. They are a little larger than those you see at shows but very well made.
Ps get that filter out of the engine bay!

thanks for advice chaps.

you'd think that a filter that physically screws together would be really secure.I'll leave the plastic one where it is then,under the tank behind the bulk head.

Doris said:
thanks for advice chaps.

you'd think that a filter that physically screws together would be really secure.I'll leave the plastic one where it is then,under the tank behind the bulk head.

Its a common miconception :lol: Those screw together ones are the ones that should be viewed with suspicion.

The plastic ones bursting is a story i have heard many times but its always a friends mates sisters husbands aunties neighbors cousin. After 40 years i have yet to see one that has burst. The only broken ones i have seen have been due to mis handling.

All the fuel leaks i have seen have been dodgy connections, rotted pipes, missing clips, pipes falling out of castings etc. not burst plastic filters.

hope you picked six numbers and did the lottery the same day chief,glad your bus is safe.

:sick0019:

Trikky2 said:
Doris said:
thanks for advice chaps.

Its a common miconception :lol: Those screw together ones are the ones that should be viewed with suspicion.

The plastic ones bursting is a story i have heard many times but its always a friends mates sisters husbands aunties neighbors cousin. After 40 years i have yet to see one that has burst. The only broken ones i have seen have been due to mis handling.

All the fuel leaks i have seen have been dodgy connections, rotted pipes, missing clips, pipes falling out of castings etc. not burst plastic filters.

Thanks Tricky.So it seems I had it right first time then...plastic filter,secured behind the bell housing tin.I'll send the glass one back!!! ;-)

I have used one of the glass filters for years, never seen it come apart before. Might have to change mine. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

glad your bus is fine :D

megabug happy to refund.gonna stick with the plastic one.if it ain't broken...don't fix it!

keep a regular check on your filters though boys and girls no matter where they are or what type!!!

Latest posts