crazy spinning nut

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strutt

Reaction score
Sooooo,

I changed the oil on my van, when i put the sump plate back on i noticed that i couldnt attach one of the nuts, due to the stud being too short!
Tonight i have been trying to remove the sump plate again, although now i have come to take it off again one of the nuts is just spinning and spinning!
the stud appears to be stayin in place though! i really cant work it out.
when i put the nut on there was no obious cross-threading or anything weird like that.
can anyone explain this strange phenomina?
i have started to try and use a hacksaw blade to split the nut.....

then i have the challenge of changing a nother sump stud! (any tips)

One of the studs is actually a bolt that holds the oil pick up pipe down in the bottom of the engine, all the others should be plain studs that should be easily removable???

:)

I dont think its the oil pickup one....although theres a 1in6 chance it is!
its really really weird, im just trying not to be forcefull and strip the thread on the stud!

I don't think it's the stud you need to worry about, it's the threads in the case, the case has the softer material.

Hey Luke - i had same issue this week, got it off by pulling the sump plate down by hand while undoing the nut at the same time! ;)

simo

the motor bike bloke by me uses 1/4 bsp studs to repair striped threads on jap bike engines,its slightly bigger in diameter but about the same pitch.just need to tap it out .

Jk do these http://www.justkampers.com/shop/oversize-stud-for-drainer-plate-j90042.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So i got back under the van last night and as Mr Simo correctly pointed out,
Just a little prising and a little bit of perseverance, the nut popped off!
the threads in were all fine and in tact....
As it turns out 3 of the studs were buggared, so now I have replaced these and have a nice oil free sump plate!

Cheers for the help.....Ill be back again soon no doubt! :roll:

Me too, does that mean our buses wont be "marking their spot" at datc this year :lol:

simo

Latest posts