Crewcab gearbox ratios

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I wonder if anyone knows what the ratios are in a 1970 Crewcab. Mine has its original box still running, but I want to change it at some stage as the gearing of the box means that I'm only doing 40mph at 3,000rpm, which is doing me and the engine no good at all!
I've grovelled around underneath but don't seem to be able to find a code on the box, other than the casing number.
I was thinking that I might try to get either a 091 6-rib box, or an AT code or similar from a beetle, to give me more comfortable cruising speeds with a lot less revs on the engine. I don't carry much weight-wise in the load area, and have a 1641cc motor.
I'd appreciate any views, thoughts or info anyone may have to help me to decide how to proceed.
Thanks very much in advance.
Brian

Do you have standard size tyres?

These can have a big effect on gearing

Erik the Viking said:
I have 15" radars with 185 x 65 tyres.

That's close to 5% smaller than stock (185 80 14) so it will rev higher than normal for any given speed. That said, 3000 rpm at only 40 mph means there's something else going on IMO. I can't see it revving that high unless the clutch is slipping or the rev counter is faulty.

I suppose its conceivable there's a gearbox with low "mountain" ratios in there (it was in fact a normal box with a lower ratio crownwheel and pinion set) but to check that you need to get the code. (It was an option but rare in Europe).

My crewcab had a mountain gearbox when I got it and I soon blew my engine. I changed it for a standard 3 Rib box and it was fine for years have now just upgraded to a 6 Rib.

I've a sneaking feeling that I may have one of those. My 'cab was originally used by the Swedish army, so it may be possible. Anyone have any recommendations for the best box to use with a 1641cc engine in a 'cab? I would certainly like to lower the revs a bit, so I can hear myself think when I'm driving!

Erik the Viking said:
I've a sneaking feeling that I may have one of those. My 'cab was originally used by the Swedish army, so it may be possible. Anyone have any recommendations for the best box to use with a 1641cc engine in a 'cab? I would certainly like to lower the revs a bit, so I can hear myself think when I'm driving!

Ah! You should have said :lol: Ex military means its much more likely to have low gearing.

A normal 3 rib box will work fine and they are easy to find and cheap to buy second hand.

If you want even taller gears then a 5 rib from an 1800 would work nicely as long as your not carrying a lot of weight. A 6 rib from a 2000 would be over geared for a stock or 1641 engine and you would spend a lot of time in third gear unless your running significantly under sized tyres. They are harder to find and quite pricy though.

Another possibility is to have the crown wheel and pinion changed if your current gearbox is in good condition.

Thanks for all of the great advice, everyone. I think I'll start looking around for a good used 1600 box, and get ready to enjoy the relative peace and quiet!

Anyone know the approximate cost and who to use for a gearbox rebuild including a longer 4th gear?
For a standard 3 rib 002 box

:D

I haven't used them myself but have heard good reports about them http://www.cogboxtransmissions.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I asked Cogbox for the same thing about 6 months back and I think it was around £1200-1500

Zcat7 said:
I asked Cogbox for the same thing about 6 months back and I think it was around £1200-1500

:shock: How much? :shock:

Been looking at Bears that do a recon service for £275

http://www.bearsmotorsport.co.uk/volkswagen-repair-rebuild-exchange-transmission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StuF said:
Zcat7 said:

:shock: How much? :shock:

Been looking at Bears that do a recon service for £275

http://www.bearsmotorsport.co.uk/volkswagen-repair-rebuild-exchange-transmission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suspect that is the price of an outright purchase of a fully rebuilt one perhapse.

Bears have a good reputation too.

As usual its a case of how much you want to spend. Cheapest is buying a second hand stock 1600 box. Most expensive is - well the sky's the limit I guess.

Just got a 002 gearbox including bellhousing and driveshafts for £75 so thats the one I will be getting refreshed
Not sure of its condition but it isnt siezed or noisy when turning
Hasnt been connected to an engine for several years though which was why I wanted to recon it

That's what they said so far as I recall! It was definitely well over £1000. This was for a larger crown wheel and pinion too and had the usual "you never know what we'll find" cautionary against it.

Basically its the reason I didn't get it done in the end (if it had been £275 quid I'd have jumped at it).

As it turns out I'm pleased I didn't go for the larger CW&P in the end as I went back to stock wheels and tyres and the gearing difference was remarkable (as well as my speedo being accurate! :) ).

Latest posts