crossover rear valance removal?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibérico

Reaction score
hi guys...as a crossover owner I´m afraid I envy all those of you that can remove engine,gearbox,fueltank etc in a little while without too much hassle and most important,without lifting the whole van in the air :mrgreen:
I had a splitty years ago and I remember how easy it was to take the bumper and rear valance off and have a "naked " bus :D , so I would like to know if anybody has cut their crossover and what is the best way.
I know I would have to leave the bit with the chassis number,but it would still clear the fanhousing when removing the engine with a little bit of skillwhen rolling the engine out,I guess.and the valance isn´t a safety structure of the bus is it?
I really want to do this without too much harm to the bus.I don´t think the there is a kit for this ,isthere?

any help or pics greatly appreciated :D

Tonio

it has been done but dont ask me how :msn4: i would do a stagerd cut so it would slide in with internal box/flange to suport it with captive nuts to fix it in place

Theres a guy on the late bay forum that did this, not sure what the final finnish was like but he didnt have any real issues performing the basic works.....

I cant remember his name but he was a navy cop so suspect it was Scuffer or similar, nice helpful bloke and believe he was doing a full thread on the subject...

I have considered the same for the crew cab.....

have looked at Nelly´s thread and haveacamper(naFe) andboth have made the conversion....but theyboth have porsche engines! :lol: and incredible vans :shock: ...I can only dreamof those quality standards!

Just read a lot today on thesamba regarding this matter... :D it is amazing how many people seem to have an opinion about it(for and against the idea,) and how few have actually done it :lol:
Search for "rear apron removal" and you will see what I mean
( in the US it seems to be called an apron)
Looking again this evening at the actual area to cut it really doesnt seem complicated...has anybody on this forum done it ?

Cheers

Tonio

Having fitted a few replacement inner valances on lates and x-overs I'd say leave it welded in place - it's a heavy duty part of the chassis.

Latest posts