CV joint end cap - which end?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dp

Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure which end the cap should go on. The cap is as shown in the picture below:

432828.jpg

It came off the hub end of my bus, but I read on a thread on thesamba that they should go on the gearbox end as the seal on the drive flange can pop out and leak gearbox oil into the cv joint. Kind of got me confused over which way round to put it back on (I guess I'm easily confused).

Also, not sure what years these were used on, Bentley just says early - is this another 68 only part?

Cheers.

On water-cooled's the cap always went to the gearbox. As such it is just a dust cap to keep dirt out of the cv joint. Our '68 has none but it has had replacement shafts. Personally I would fit it at the gearbox end.

Good timing as I am just about to refit ours - I'm pretty sure I have one on each end, but if one had 2, then the gearbox end makes sense for the reason you have suggested...

i did this job a couple of weeks back. I did'nt have any dust caps on my 70? I was none the wiser :roll:

Thanks.

I guess it doesn’t really matter as VW decided to ditch them anyway (probably before 1970?). Also the new CV joints you can buy (even though they’re from the same manufacturer as the originals) don’t allow you to re-fit it (only had to replace one though, so I thought I’d put it back on).

Not owned watercooled VW’s before so useful to know - I think I’ll do as you say and stick it towards the gearbox. I’m guessing the shafts must have been switched around to distribute wear at some point.

Pretty sure there should only be one per shaft though, but I guess if you’ve got 2, and when you inspect the original CV joints they’re all good, you might as well put them on both ends.

Thanks again guys.

Latest posts