Dans crossover

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan2000

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I said hello in the general section but I will say it again here. Hello. Ive been lurking on Earlybay for about three years since getting my first VW, a 73 late bay, which I've beam raised, narrowed, and generally hacked up. Late last year I got a 71 beetle, which as soon as it gets back from MOT, will be my daily driver, and most recently (two days ago) I bought a 72 crossover. I wasn't looking for one but a lady came into where I work ( without sounding like I'm trying to advertise, I work with vw buses) and asked if I might know anyone who would be interested in her bay, I did, me :D. It was just up the road from me so I went and had a look. It looked pretty good and it was too cheap to pass up, now two days later it's my third VW. My plan is to fix what needs fixing, buff up the paint, keep it stock and go on holiday in it. Sorry about the long intro but I'm nearly done :) .As I live and work in Cornwall, a couple of miles from the VW village, parts and inspiration are easy to come by, and if any of you haven't been I recommend that you do, theres a great bunch down there always ready to help, give advice or just chat about old VW's. And now without further ado I give to you my 1972 crossover.

PS, If anyone knows the name of the colour or the paint code could you let me know, thanks.

PPS Thanks for the welcome ozziedog, I will post a picture of my late bay hack job for everyone to take the mick out of :lol:

DSCF8982.jpg

DSCF8981.jpg

DSCF8980.jpg

DSCF8979.jpg

DSCF8978.jpg

Since the weather has not been good today I started on one of the doors.

DSCF8987.jpg

DSCF8988.jpg

DSCF8990.jpg

My plan is to keep it stock, but now I'm super tempted

DSCF8985.jpg

Thats all I've got for now, more soon.
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're not being followed

Dan2000 said:
PS, If anyone knows the name of the colour or the paint code could you let me know, thanks.

looks like neptune blue to me.

cant remember the code though. looks like a project.

Thanks for the help with the paint colour guys, I totally forgot about the M code plate :roll: Yes it is a project, but compared with my last one, this one is almost factory fresh. Hopefully more progress pics in a day or two.

Here's a few pics of my late bay beam raised hack, it's starting to look a bit early bayish, but as they say 'Imitation is the highest form of flattery'. I know it wont be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it.

3.jpg

2.jpg

42.jpg

5.jpg

Dan2000 said:
Here's a few pics of my late bay beam raised hack, it's starting to look a bit early bayish, but as they say 'Imitation is the highest form of flattery'. I know it wont be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it.

3.jpg

2.jpg

42.jpg

5.jpg

Any info on the beam raise?

Rob

Hi Rob, I dont have any pics of the beam raise in progress, but you could go to the KCW website and check out how Franz and Kevin did theirs, also Alex at Evil Bens did one and there a few pics on his blog. I basicaly copied them. They make it look very easy, and it sort of is, but you do have to commit to some serious cutting (nothing that can't be fixed by some poor sod thirty years from now) The one thing I did learn, is to be careful where you position the beam adjusters, I didn't think and fitted mine to lower the bus, but doing a 8'' beam raise doesn't stiffen the suspension (other than the little bit that narrowing does) and the natural give in the stock suspension means even with the adjusters on the highest setting the bus was sitting on the floor, so I had to cut them off and reposition them (great fun)
Anyway if you do it, good luck, I'm not sure I would do it again now that the price of drop spindle is coming down a bit, but it was one hell of a learning curve.
Hopefully I will have some pics of my crossover soon, I'm snowed under at work, but fingers crossed I might get some time on it on sunday, hang on it is sunday! I'm going to bed.

I know of pigpens an Franz's there super cool buses you seen the one pigpens doing at the minute with the Porsche engine an box I've raised my beam but only like 1 1/2 inch an done a tranny an engine raise too so I'm a super slammed once it's done :)

Rob

Yeah by the look of those rear notches it's going to be another low one 8) . There's still loads to do on my late bay, I've got the front pretty much done but I've yet to tackle the rear, tubs, notches, engine/trans raise, etc. Hopefully I will get it done before all the oil runs out!

Hey Rob, have you got a pic of your bus, I looked through the pages but couldn't see your name. I'm new to the forum so theres probably a better way of finding it, I just dont know what it is. Anyway I would like to see your bay, cheers, Dan

Hello dude there isn't many photos of my work I have posted up I never really got round to starting a build thread I might post some up some time soon

Rob

Managed to get a couple of hours on the crossover yesterday, got the drivers step done and a coat of cold zinc on, I will be doing all the final bodywork when all the repairs are complete, check out the previous 'repair' to the floor :roll: it looks solid but I think I'll cut it out anyway. I've got to go up to London for work later this week, but once thats done I should have more time on the crossover, and be able to post more updates.

Cheers.

DSCF8996.jpg

DSCF8997.jpg

DSCF8998.jpg

The lady I got the bus from came by with a few parts she found in the garage, she has got more that I will get as and when she finds them.

DSCF9005.jpg

Latest posts