Depressed now ... Had two quotes!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tequila

Reaction score
Well, I have had two quotes now ... both fairly similar. I think I may have bitten off more than I can ... well.... pay for!
She needs a lot, new floors, new posts, new arches, front panel, sills, doors etc.
I really wanted one I could run about in ... not pay £8k on top of the 2.5k purchase price to get it on the road ( admittedly it would be in great condition ) ... I should have just spent 6k ish to get an alright one

You live and learn!
I may have to consider recouping my money and starting again! :cry:

I bought a heap as well. To be honest what ever quote you got you need to add to it anyway. seatbelts etc. I have got round this by buying bits each month and getting the work done in slow time. There is always ways round it, you just got to want it. :D

Not a bad plan to start again.
If you have no mechanical skills (No offence ment) and noware to fix it up yourself your best bet is to buy the best you can afford.
Rust it the Bay windows biggest enemy.
If you think you can recoupe your losses and stick a few extra grand towards a solid one then thats the way to go i reccon.
Think with your Head, not your Heart.

Sorry if this wasnt the answer you were looking for but its what id do.

Rich 8)

mine is exactly what your talking about (have a look in the for sale section).....it has had all the work your talking about

Luckily :lol: I bought it running with a yrs MOT....but removal of belly pan revealed more :cry: so over 3yrs it has had all the structural work done as a running project........next stage is paint

Got a splitty project now and have been keeping track of all the money I spent on it and it is as Freddie Mercury said very very frightening

:oops:

Been a mechanic for 20+ years and baught a 74 Bay that was propper rotten.
The more i welded the more i found to do.
I had a fully equiped workshop with welder, ramps etc etc...
After a year of it i pretty much gave up, got it MOT'd and flogged it.
Best thing i ever did. Baught an Earlybay next :mrgreen: .
Go States import. Slightly cheaper (Coz the wheels on the wrong side, but well easy to drive) and usualy a lot less rusty :mrgreen: .
Good luck with your choises.

Rich 8)

have a look here (http://www.facebook.com/southcoast.wagenwerks?ref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
and give us a call. ;)

You are starting to sound a bit sensible now. And it`s not the worst time of the year to off ` load ' your current bus. My chassis is great on mine, it`s just everything else, but we`re getting there. Cali import,,, hindsight,,, 20 / 20,,, etc etc etc !

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, I`ve had those thoughts you know,! :msn4: :lol: :msn4:

Hoosier said:
Not a bad plan to start again.
If you have no mechanical skills (No offence ment) and noware to fix it up yourself your best bet is to buy the best you can afford.
Rust it the Bay windows biggest enemy.
If you think you can recoupe your losses and stick a few extra grand towards a solid one then thats the way to go i reccon.
Think with your Head, not your Heart.

Sorry if this wasnt the answer you were looking for but its what id do.

Rich 8)

Good advice here ^

If you just want something to run around in and to play with, then you will have to sell and pay a bit more for a solid but low spec one (say £5-6k).

Alternatively, if you can't afford a solid one and / or you want a project and you want that bus but don't want to spend 8k in one go - you will just have to do it slowly (as I am doing).

If you can tow your bus up to Norfolk (Downham Market) I can fully recommend Dubs and Classics for restoration. :mrgreen:

http://dubsandclassics.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.facebook.com/DubsandClassics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know it will hurt but if you resell it and take a hit (say minus 500) it will still cost you a lot less than trying to rescue it (it'll allways cost more than you think ,even if they are fair estimates).
Really feel for you mate :? ........chin up.

Happy to provide an alternative quote if it helps or can supply a shell that you could bolt your bits onto for £4200, it would be LHD though.

£8K sounds a lot, if you want to send me an email with the work required I'm happy to have a look for you,

to think i felt depressed at the £530 of parts my other half reeled off that i need last night, not including roof canvas,exhaust, tyres etc that i need, and thats if the engine works... one concilation is youve made me realise how much he is saving me :shock: