diagonal arm ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bac2ba6

Reaction score
Think that's what there called , the "diagonal" arm that goes to each wheel and fixed towards the centre of the chassis underneath at the back. My question is the cylindrical bush ? The bolt goes through is this a changeable part ? If so where can u buy them from as can't find much info on the matter . Also is it fairly straight forward to replace ? I'm quite at ease with taking the suspention apart as done many a time but have never taken the arm completely off . Just looks like the bush or whatever is in there has seen better days .

If I've understood correctly; the "diagonal" thing is called your springplate and I think you're looking for these:

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Baywindow_Products~Baywindow_Suspension_and_Steering_Products~Rear_Suspension_Products/211511245A/T2_Rear_Torsion_Bar_Bush_-OB-Inner_And_Outer-CB-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BBT%20PICTURES-FS-1453-5.jpeg

I think you mean item 1 on here....trailing arm bush.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_parts_Rear-Suspension_act_page.render_pageID_292_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I`m guesing at the trailing arm rubber as well as you say it goes back toward the centre. Can`t see it being spring loaded though as it`s just a pivot point, not like taking off the spring plate :shock: Not quite sure if you can just change it in situ or if you have to take the arm off and use a bit of pressure to squeeze in the new rubber, any one done one ???

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, :? ;) :?

ozziedog said:
I`m guesing at the trailing arm rubber as well as you say it goes back toward the centre. Can`t see it being spring loaded though as it`s just a pivot point, not like taking off the spring plate :shock: Not quite sure if you can just change it in situ or if you have to take the arm off and use a bit of pressure to squeeze in the new rubber, any one done one ???

211-501-121 Rubber mount,trailing arm, -79.

On the list to do oz, need to replace both as I has more camber than required on the offside.

Toad said:
I think you mean item 1 on here....trailing arm bush.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_parts_Rear-Suspension_act_page.render_pageID_292_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ahh yes that looks like what im after , wasn't too sure what the correct name for that arm is !

would of thought it needs to come off to change the rubber , just wondered if it was one of those " looks straight forward but is a sod of a job " things :roll: .

Any advice welcome ;)
And thanks for the other replies 8)

i fitted new trailing arm bushes while the arms were off. I used some treaded rod and large washers to pull them into the arms.

sparkywig said:
ozziedog said:

211-501-121 Rubber mount,trailing arm, -79.

On the list to do oz, need to replace both as I has more camber than required on the offside.

Ahh interesting that may be the problem i have with camber that is why i was going to change them to see if it helped :D

paul_q said:
i fitted new trailing arm bushes while the arms were off. I used some treaded rod and large washers to pull them into the arms.

how did you get the old ones out ? or do they come out easily if they are well worn

bac2ba6 said:
paul_q said:

how did you get the old ones out ? or do they come out easily if they are well worn

I cut off what I could then used the rod to pull them out with a rear axle socket as a spacer. they were hard to get out but to be honest they did not seem that worn. I just replaced them as I had replaced everything else.

paul_q said:
bac2ba6 said:
paul_q said:

I cut off what I could then used the rod to pull them out with a rear axle socket as a spacer. they were hard to get out but to be honest they did not seem that worn. I just replaced them as I had replaced everything else.

Thanks for that . need to be getting me some threaded bar ! , :D

Latest posts