Clutch throwout bearing installation questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70-CA-Panel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I changed my clutch and bearing a couple of times over the years and it always seemed to go pretty easily.
I've always had Sachs stuff.

This time I used a throwout bearing from C&C came in a LUK clutch set and VWHeritage throwout fork and bushing set.

Took me good part of the day to get the small bush (hidden in the bellhousing) removed, but got that sorted with some scoring to the bellhousing all around bushing :(

Installed the bushing set, realised the washer needed to go between the circlip and bush rubber on the inside, so took it all apart again and back together.

The spring seems a bit too tough so much so that the lever is leaning towards the engine and doesn't stand straight, mind you it's been many years since I last did this so not sure if its supposed to be like this, my old spring had been broken...

I've ordered heavy duty bearing clips from C&C as that's what I used previously but the ends on these are go almost past each other, so no way can you install these! Tried to use my used HD clips, but the cuts for the clips are not deep enough so reverted to the regular clips that came with the LUK kit,, after a little fiddling they worked, but aren't too confidence inspiring.

The bearing holders are different from my Sachs, the fork looks better welded, but the fork arms don't look straight and are too thick between bearing seat and clip seat and now looking at the throwout bearing it looks like it's not centred over the input shaft, photos below. Will this work or do I have to redo all this crap again?>>>

So sick of new stuff not working right...

Thanks Trikky,

I knew that just don't want to do it again, forgot to put the little washer on the shaft next to the circlip and realized after all was fitted, so re did the shaft again, only then did I attach the bearing and noticed the offset...

I was stoked with the bar too as there were welds all around not just two spots like on my last one might have to go back to that one though.

What's the point in making parts if they don't fit, if you're already copying a part do it right!!
I'm getting pi**ed off with the sellers of this crap too, why do they buy sh*t and sell it way to expensive to us to waste our time. They should do a quality control and don't buy crap! Now I either got to install an old part that may fail soon or wait till a new one arrives.

Sorry rant over now...

I see what you mean. It seems very odd that a repro component is not checked against an original to make sure it will fit properly.

If your original one is still ok then it's perfectly acceptable to run a weld round the forks to reinforce them if you want to.

Yes, I was wondering that too, will give the weld a go for peace of mind...

I looked at the part before installing it and it looked slightly off, but figured it was just me looking at it not straight...

Cheers

70-CA-Panel said:
Yes, I was wondering that too, will give the weld a go for peace of mind...

I looked at the part before installing it and it looked slightly off, but figured it was just me looking at it not straight...

Cheers

Yes I welded mine too - but in fairness it was going to have to operate the heavier stage one Kennedy clutch.

Ps. When I mentioned about checking I meant the manufacturer - not any criticism of you by the way.

No worries Trikky, no offence taken. It is my responsibility after all to check what goes on my bus.
Just wish I would have checked with a straight edge to verify before faffing around, took me all day to get the small bushing out and install the new kit... longest taking think yet on my bus.

Two weld tacks just don't seem strong enough, in all fairness it lasted a few years so far, just hope the fork ends where the bearing sits in and the recess for the spring is will hold up too...

Cheers

I'm doing this job the weekend. I've brought the bits to upgrade to late bay style bearing and it looks a much better design. I'll let you know how it goes if your interested

The arm I've brought is bugpack and looks nicely made

clutch/bearing and late adaptor sleeve from vwheritage

and I brought the bugpack 71-75 arm from coolair

will post some pics up after i've done it the weekend

did this today so a couple of pics as promised.

this is the late style bearing installed, I think it's way better as it runs on a shaft. Only downside I can see it was brutal force to hammer the shaft in to the bell housing so should I ever want to change the seal in there I doubt I could do it

14846211388_3ac8fba505.jpg

and as usual had some repro part problems. Could not get the arm with the spring back on for shit, the spring was so strong it was pinging the circlip and arm off. I ended up filing the circlip groove deeper and using the original spring. The repro's not even close!

14846162290_04f8aa36ca.jpg

Latest posts