Difference in wheel drums?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EeVeeWee

Reaction score
I have a pair of Early Bay hub carriers with stub axles.
The drums are rusty and a bit worn so I ordered new ones.
The problem is the new ones don't fit, they only slide a few mm's and than are stuck.
Are there differences in 1968 drums?
The numbers inside the drums are 10064G and 211501615F.
Is this one different from 211501615G?

Remtrommels%20T2a%2010064G2_zpssbcwahlw.jpg

Remtrommels%20T2a%20211501615F_zpsabv0nb3s.jpg

Remtrommel%20T2a_3_zps3he4kaye.jpg

Remtrommel%20T2a_2_zpsl7mxnxat.jpg

Are the new ones the cheaper version of the ones on the market?

If so, I had a battle getting them on, and found the only way to do it was to repeatedly put them on and take them off, and giving them a good side to side wiggle whilst doing so. It seems that the splines were a very tight fit, and by doing the above, it helped free them up enough that they could be slipped on and off by hand. Obviously you could just tap the drum home with a mallet, but I think you'd struggle to get them off again without a large puller.

Pre March 68 and post March rear drums are different. I'm sorry but I can't remember the respective numbers.

The respective backing plates are different, the pre ones having one 'lip' and the post ones having two

The only supplier I could find for the pre ones, mine being Jan 68, was CSP.

Alternatively you can change the backing plates which I think VW recommended.

If you do a search on here there's some info about this - posted by VWed I thnk

Hope this helps

chad said:
Pre March 68 and post March rear drums are different. I'm sorry but I can't remember the respective numbers.

The respective backing plates are different, the pre ones having one 'lip' and the post ones having two

The only supplier I could find for the pre ones, mine being Jan 68, was CSP.

Alternatively you can change the backing plates which I think VW recommended.

If you do a search on here there's some info about this - posted by VWed I thnk

Hope this helps

Thank you very much for the info!
Indeed at this German side there are two drums mentioned when you search on "211501615F".
I guess I have to find out which type axles I have and find the right drums for it, may be the CSP ones.

http://www.michaelknappmann.de/bulli/michaelk/vw_bus_d/et_nr_a.htm#ab500

I think that this gives you the answer:
http://www.justkampers.com/custom-speed-parts/csp-brake-kits-and-parts/csp-brake-drums.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought the only difference was the lip so that wouldn't cause you an issue before the drum is nearly fully seated against the backing plate. What year are the stub axles from?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

67westy said:
I thought the only difference was the lip so that wouldn't cause you an issue before the drum is nearly fully seated against the backing plate. What year are the stub axles from?

I don't know, I bought them as a pair for the IRS conversion of my Split Window bus.

Apparently late stub axles are shorter 8.25 inches vs 9.125 inches for an early. Worth a quick check to see what you have

I had a similar issue (if I understand the problem correctly) with some Transporterhaus drums. They were very tight on the splines and if I remember correctly the fitting instructions that came with the drums stated that if they were a tight fit (due to castings) then the splines on the drum would need to be gently 'filed'. This took a while but I eventually got them on and fitted.

Latest posts