distributor driveshaft orientation. (edit another photo adde

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70-CA-Panel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello guys.

My engine and bus are almost there.
Found TDC using a long glowplug with machining marks on down the plug hole, checked so many times and it incidentially lines up with the marks on the pulley. It's a pulley off another engine.

This engine (industrial 126) had a sticker on the fanshroud for 7.5 BTDC static timing set up which is good.
When the engine is set to TDC the slot in the distributor driveshaft points at a slight angle towards the crank pulley rather than straight along the front of the case. Is this correct for engines that need to be timed at 7.5BTDC?

OR do I need to remove it and line it up with the front of the case?

The engine was built by VW in Germany in 1973 and has done 12hrs so far, that's why I'm hesitant to changing anything...

A quick reply would be really helpful as I'd like to complete engine assembly and installation today.

Thank you as always for your time and efforts.

Andy

Industrial engines used the cheaper and inferior 009 bosche dizzy because they run at steady rpm and don't have to cope with road conditions and gear changes.

009 dissys are different to stock in that the dissy cap and connections are 90 degees different to a normal dissy. Hence the shaft on an industrial engine will be fitted 90 degrees round compared to a vehicle engine.

You can take the shaft out and re insert it as for a vehicle engine if you want but you must be careful not to let the thrust washers drop down into the engine.

Hi Trikki I don't know about other industrial motors but Monkiboy is right on this one it came with a Magneto.

Should the shaft be aligned with the front of the engine or is it ok for it to be at a slight angle? The smaller side is forward think this is right so shouldn't be 90degrees out?
The engine was supposed to be timed at 7.5 BTDC with the magneto.

monkiboy said:
WTF!!!!????

Industrial engines came fitted with MAGNETO'S and NEVER had "Distributors"

This looks normal to me :)

Why WTF? And why the use of emphatic capitals?

Industrial engines did come with 009 dissys. The 009 was specifically developed for industrial engines.

Magnetos were also used but they are very expensive by comparison and hence were used in those applications that required extreme reliability - like in light aircraft or in military applications where reliability counted more than cost.

There's some info and photos here if your interested. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The idea they only came with magnetos may be because these days its likely only the military ones come up for sale since its likely that all the ordinary commercial ones have long since worn out and been thrown away.

monkiboy said:
because most of what you said is nonsense......

99.9% of VW BUILT industrial engines came fitted with Magneto's, its what a magneto is designed to do and as far as I am aware the 009 was developed as a "Replacement" distributor for vw/porsche engines......

I can post the picture of the original VW workshop manual for ALL industrial engines inc 30hp styles (That also came fitted with magneto's!) if needed........

And to answer the original question YES it is ok for the drive to be at a slightly angle, Thats how it is ment to be :)

Looks like everybody else is wrong then :lol:

Rob & Daves aircooled pages http://www.vw-resource.com/009_history.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Samba http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-359718--.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Distributed listings http://vw.zenseeker.net/Ignition-Distributor.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Richard Atwells http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FAQ.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

monkiboy said:
Well yes they are......

If you actually READ those links you posted not one of them actually says that the 009 was developed for industrial engines.......

One of them mentions that VW developed an all centrifugal advance distributor and then later it was copied/developed by bosch, And in fact one of the links actually states that the 009 is a "Replacement item" various VW engines......

Oh and another one of the links even states that "Rumor has it" that the 009 was developed for industrial engines......

I have seen ALOT of vw industrial engines over the last couple of years in various forms ie water pumps, generators, etc etc and NOT ONE of them had a "Distributor"
mainly because the Magneto mean that the engine can still be started even if the battery is flat..... With the crank handle :)

Remember just because its writen on a website somewhere it doesn't make it true......

Ok so you don't believe me or what's on the net - how about a copy of the operators manual produced by VW themselves then?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/3_69_industrial/March_1969_VW_Industrial_Owners_Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strange. There must be something wrong with your computer because when I read the manual it describes setting the points in a distributor and clearly states there are two types of units.

One with a magneto and another with battery pack and dissy.

Also if you check the parts listings you will find the two different Bosche distributors originally fitted to these units went out of production and the 009 was listed by Bosche as the replacement unit.

Many of these "battery pack" units were sold but then what would I know, I only worked for the company from 1973 through to 1988 :lol:

Are you deliberately trolling?

I do know that a lot of magneto models were sold to the military in Norway. I don't know how many because my area was the UK. It was the German factory rep that showed me the figures one time I remember. I guess it's these that are now coming onto the market second hand and some may be in outstanding condition having been mothballed.

In the UK quite a few were sold to work as water pumps and generators bought for instance by fire brigades and agricultural businesses. The battery pack models were very popular because their usage was regular and instant starting was required. (the military prefer stuff that can be mothballed without maintenance hence they prefer magnetos and no battery).

Some were also sold as compressors but they were weird and could not be used in a vehicle without also replacing the camshaft etc. because rather that attach one, the compressor was the engine. They sounded very odd when running :lol: there's some pictures of these on the Samba.

The survival rate of battery pack models is much much lower simply because these units were expressly bought for everyday use and hence wore out and got scrapped.

Probably one of the strangest looking ones were the ones for boats. These had large aluminium castings round where the heat exchangers would be on a car engine. There's even a picture of one of these on the Samba. Must be very rare now. Worth a look of your interested.

Sorry to see you two got in a tiff about the magneto/009 issue, I'm sure both are correct.

I have installed my svda and the rotor at firing position points about 2 o'clock which basically points right at number 1 cylinder so works for me.

Thanks and sorry for the arguments on this thread.

Andy

70-CA-Panel said:
Sorry to see you two got in a tiff about the magneto/009 issue, I'm sure both are correct.

I have installed my svda and the rotor at firing position points about 2 o'clock which basically points right at number 1 cylinder so works for me.

Thanks and sorry for the arguments on this thread.

Andy

Hi Andy,

No probs :D Hope you have sorted your engine out now. If its mothballed ex military it could be very good indeed :D

Latest posts