Do fuel pumps leak?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcfmonkey

Reaction score
There's fuel pissing out from the fuel pump, I've checked and tightened the fuel lines and clips but it's not fixed the problem. Everything is stock so I'm wondering can fuel pumps leak from anywhere other than the fuel in and fuel out ports?#
Cheers
Monkey

Hi,
The diaphragm inside the pump can fail causing petrol to leak into the case. If you unbolt the pump (clamp off both fuel lines first) you could test it out of the engine - no fuel should be leaking from the bottom of it where the fuel pump push rod engages with it.
Check out the post at the bottom of the first page on Egotrippin's - it happened on his bus.
It's also a great thread to read all the way through aswell!

What size fuel pipe have you fitted?
If it's 6mm it will leak at the fuel pump even with the clips tightened, you need 5.5mm.
A split diaphragm will leak fuel into the engine, but won't be visible from just opening the engine hatch.

sparkywig said:
What size fuel pipe have you fitted?
If it's 6mm it will leak at the fuel pump even with the clips tightened, you need 5.5mm.
A split diaphragm will leak fuel into the engine, but won't be visible from just opening the engine hatch.

If it is leaking internally,you’ll find your oil level can actually rise and most times you can smell petrol on the dip stick rather than see it. There’s leaks and then there’s leaks but you can’t take a chance with fuel leaks :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, where do you suspect this leak ? :mrgreen:

No, there should not be any form of fuel leak. I agree with sparkywig, check the fuel pipe size. If that’s correct buy a new pump.

That said there should not any leaks of any fluids full stop, even oil leaks. Those who say all vws leak oil are morons.

Latest posts