Does anything actualy fit properly!!!!!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICH-I-AM

Reaction score
Restoring my bus as some of you will know and its not been as enjoyable as i was hoping.
Why are after market parts for VW T2's so crap???

250 pounds i spent on my Deluxe waistband and the rear corners dont even fit!!!

Brand new window rubbers "The good ones" that needed trimming all round just so i could get the glass in the apettures let alone fully fitted!!!

Door rubbers that wont let you shut your door properly when theyre fitted!!!

Rear light unit rubbers that are slightly oversized and dont look quite right!!!

Engine tinwear that doesnt fit (A mate was moaning about the parts he got for his T1).

Im sure theres more!!!

Pisses me off!!!

Rich :evil:

totally agree i dont think anything aftermarket fitted correctly during the resto of my van :evil: just one hurdle after another but stick with it fella it will all be worth it :D

Dont think anything I've bought from a well known online camper store has actually fitted without some modification despite their assurances that it's the right year. Last thing was the speedometer hub, which needed the centre hole boring wider, before that the engine lid rubbers. I now embrace the modification process and see it as part of the overall challenge of resoration. Easier to stay sane that way.

It is a terrible thing, and maybe we should make a sticky about the best suppliers for a certain part.
This would help a lot of novices aswell, I know it would help me.
Unfortunately I haven't got a clue about quality items as I still have to paint the bus and rubbers and such aren't on my list yet.
I'm dreading the day I have to refit the cab door windows, quarter light and window scrapers& surround.
I just KNOW I'm gonna ruin the paintwork and curse all day long :mrgreen:

I think patr of the problem is the vans were still mostly built by hand so everything, tolerance wise, was not as good as they are nowadays.
Due to this fact, every van is different in panel fit and this then means that the parts produced, may fit reasonably on one van, but not on the next.

Just my thoughts anyways ;)

It goes along with my theory that everything is just an inch out ;) when you drop something its out of reach by an inch etc etc etc. Always the blinking way! :mrgreen:

Your not alone there matey ,regarding deluxe trim i went the real expensive route and fitted top of the range Stainless Trim still didnt fit properly,seems they just dont make things like they used too ,and as for door rubbers ,nearly a year down the line and still havin to slam the f@%k out the doors !!!Just the way it is pal,NO NAILS holds everything together !!!! :lol: :lol:

Davebug (or anyone) who's door rubbers have you had trouble with?
Ive got C&C ones to put on but im worried to even try incase they dont fit either :cry:

Rich

Hi!

I wanna buy some new rubbers too, so would also appreciate finding out which door rubber fits, you shouldn't have to start slamming doors to close?

Cheers!

Alistair

sparkywig said:
I've got the vewib rubbers fitted from Status, and they're fine. :)
Although the service was poor....
Cool, oh and leave the Status thing for another thread :mrgreen:

You can get the Viewib seals from C and C, cost a touch more than from Status but they are delivered within 2 days. The Viewib door and hatch rubbers fitted a treat and same for the front screen seal. Doors close ok as well.

Hoosier said:
sparkywig said:
I've got the vewib rubbers fitted from Status, and they're fine. :)
Although the service was poor....
Cool, oh and leave the Status thing for another thread :mrgreen:

:lol:

I've already made public my dealings with Status, and told Barclay to his face.

Sausage said:
You can get the Viewib seals from C and C, cost a touch more than from Status but they are delivered within 2 days. The Viewib door and hatch rubbers fitted a treat and same for the front screen seal. Doors close ok as well.

Doors that close is a bonus - will look into these.

I'll second that a sticky should be started for things that fit/dont fit?

Nice one, cheers!

Alistair

I used JK genuine VW door rubbers and I found these to be a good fit, but this was around 4 years ago so not sure what they are like now ;)

JK genuine cab door rubbers are good.don't get the crap cheap ones. And that goes for all the seals, get the genuine ones they really are so much better!

Cab doors are a pain, just make sure you edge the rubbers in with a screwdriver so they back right up to the outer door surface within each channel. Also ensure the bottom most corner (nearest the hinge) is glued properly. Otherwise it has a tendency to force the door out. Sometimes slicing some rubber off the back of this corner helps a lot.

A good push is generally always needed with new rubbers for a while..

Latest posts