Does your van live outside year round?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterListerSir

Reaction score
We are converting the garage to a much needed bedroom, now have to decide to cover it on driveway or sell it. My kids cried when I mentioned that!!
I have a cover ( Hamilton's I think) but I don't want it sweating and rusting away after the blood sweat and tears of restoration. Cannot afford to rent a garage......and advice....please.

I have used a Coverzone cover on mine but I think the Hamilton one is better
I found that they do keep the bus dry but the wind can blow up under them bringing with it dust
which I found it did mark the paint slightly in places
Make sure it's clean and Keep it well polished before you put cover on
that's only reason I went for the storage option this year
;)

if you have waxoyled the underneath and cavities - something you should do anyway

then a decent carnuba wax will keep it all nice - the cover will help keep off the worst of the rain [which contains grit] and will protect the rubber and paint against the UV rays.

Mine has been outside for 18months without any attention or cover, and the only thing is a paint dulling and minor increase in a couple of bits of rust [that were already there]

Mine's sort of outside all year - it's under a carport which keeps the worst of the **** off it but means that it's well ventilated.

I don't have to worry about putting it away if it's been raining as it dries off naturally.

Not that I'm any kind of expert but I have always left mine out year round and definitely wouldn't sell it yet just because of no garage. At least give it one winter, you might like having it to hand for those rare beautifully sunny autumn/winter days that are nice for days out (they do happen sometimes!).

Wax and waxoyl the hell out of it, clean it regularly, I reckon it will be fine.

Mines about to be going into its 6th UK winter outside. Its waxoiled underneath and I always give it a good layer of heavy duty wax before the weather gets bad. Its holding up OK.
I try and use it a few times a week, unless the weather is really bad, I reckon using it so that everything heats up and all the moving parts move not only keeps it dryer inside, but also makes it more reliable. It likes a bit of exercise!

Mine lives outside all year long, has done for four years now, and is covered from October to March using a combination of a Moltex and JK covers. These keep her warm and dry.

It is waxoyled underneath, and inside I use a huge tub of rice as a moisture trap, which I have supplemented this year with one of these: http://www.diy.com/departments/unibond-aero-360-moisture-absorber/307283_BQ.prd

I am tempted to plug a low wattage tube (skirting) heater in, but have not done so yet. Not sure it is helpful or not.

My van lives outside all year round as did my split bus it's year 8 now and no problems, what I use is Collonite Norfolk wax and that protects the glass rubber and the bodywork it only needs to be done once a year it goes on easily and buffs off effortlessly.

I kept mine outside for 8 years with very limited care and yeah the rust got worse but it was already there so as long as you look after the paint and as the guys above say, give a good thick coat of wax on before winter then its fine - of course waxing rust is a tad harder...

I used to find the cover where it curled under at the bottom would trap moisture which I reckon is the worst problem

Mine is on the drive covered with a just kampers cover. Not sure how good these covers are. What do people think?

Thanks for replys. It's got plenty of wax on the outside and I should have shares in waxoyle underneath and in the cavities!

KevH said:
Mine lives outside all year long, has done for four years now, and is covered from October to March using a combination of a Moltex and JK covers. These keep her warm and dry.

It is waxoyled underneath, and inside I use a huge tub of rice as a moisture trap, which I have supplemented this year with one of these: http://www.diy.com/departments/unibond-aero-360-moisture-absorber/307283_BQ.prd

I am tempted to plug a low wattage tube (skirting) heater in, but have not done so yet. Not sure it is helpful or not.
I use one of these dehumidifier in my Westy, as I had a canvas going mouldy in another bus, they draw a lot of moisture out of the air in the bus, well worth having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campmobile70 said:
KevH said:

I use one of these dehumidifier in my Westy, as I had a canvas going mouldy in another bus, they draw a lot of moisture out of the air in the bus, well worth having.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone, I`m not sure who it was, suggested that kitty litter in a bowl was brilliant for absorbing moisture in a bus, not sure how often you`d need to change it though and I would think you`d need to use new stuff as opposed to using second hand stuff for obvious reasons :shock:
Apparently it absorbs like blotting paper,, sounds good for peeps that park up for the winter :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Yeah,,, new is probably better :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to keep mine outside this year till its running

I've got a well vented cover that seems to work well (6 vents where side windows are)

The wind gets in and keeps everything dry. Don't buy a cheap one, I ruined the paint on a t25 once by using a fully waterproof cover. Also if it snows, get the snow off the roof quick. The slow melting snow can seep in the cover and create the same effects as a waterproof cover trapping moisture in.

Good coat of Collinite wax does wonders as well.

no one has gone for the obvious and sensible suggestion....

keep the kids on the drive under a cover and leave the garage for the bus :lol:

samgopsill said:
no one has gone for the obvious and sensible suggestion....

keep the kids on the drive under a cover and leave the garage for the bus :lol:
That never crossed my mind.....will run it by the wife, wink

Mines been outside for quite a few years and is ok but I did find leaving the windows open a tiny bit under the cover helped keep it dry inside as during the winter if they were left closed it used to condensate inside

Outside for many years.
Stopped using the JK cover as caused condensation and also rubbed the body removing the paint in areas.

Latest posts