Door handles recommendation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenonx

Reaction score
Hi all

My 1972 Type 2 was broken into a few weeks ago by someone using a screwdriver to force the locks. I want to change the bust locks, but hear the quality of replacement locks and handles can be mixed. Can anyone suggest replacements that are of good quality and will not be a nightmare to fix?

Thanks in advance!

xenonx said:
Hi all

My 1972 Type 2 was broken into a few weeks ago by someone using a screwdriver to force the locks. I want to change the bust locks, but hear the quality of replacement locks and handles can be mixed. Can anyone suggest replacements that are of good quality and will not be a nightmare to fix?

Thanks in advance!

I think you’ve got the right idea and most of them aren’t as good as you’d like especially the repros. If you want decent quality then have a good search around for original stuff. Simon down at NOSVW usually has a decent stash of good chrome parts and the guys over at FBI and there must be loads more like lime bug , but I’d go for original stuff if it was me. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,and a screw driver for goodness sakes :roll:

I locked my keys in once. Left them in the ignition. Found out end of day when I couldn’t find them in my man bag. As said. Left them in the ignition and shut the door having pushed the small top lever down. I was at work, finished my long day shift and.....no keys. I had my spares at home. Thing is. I have original VW handles and locks. Tried all sorts with everyone’s keys. No good. The only way I could get in to open the bus up was the sliding door. I used a NHS knife and it simply turned to open. And I slid the door open. I was shocked. I realise now that that little turning addition inside the bus sliding door mechanism double locks it. Like a Yale double lock equivalent. No way can I get that one open from the outside now. Also. After months of ownership, I pushed the sliding door handle upwards and saw the whole door level and close perfectly shut by pulling inwards at the rear end. No gaps now. Since? I’ve tried a fair few keys and other malarkey. But nothing gets in. Ozzie has a good point. Original? Seems to work for me. That and think further. Give it the straight jacket treatment. Trouble is....glass is glass and easily broken. So you want to further frustrate anyone getting in that way and starting her up. I’ve got a fair few keep safe additions. Ain’t saying what. But.....Whatever you can put additionally inside or outside. Go for it.

joneastwood said:
We make all our own handles now, you can either buy a complete new set or the parts you need to rebuild your handles

All our locks and parts were made from NOS samples so they fit gen vw handles also

https://www.customandcommercial.com...pick_up_parts/baywindow_complete_handle_sets/

https://www.customandcommercial.com...ick_up_parts/baywindow_cab_door_handle_parts/
Are your sliding door handles different to the ones sold by vwh then? I had one from them and the chrome was rubbish, still looking for a decent replacement.....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

67westy said:
joneastwood said:
We make all our own handles now, you can either buy a complete new set or the parts you need to rebuild your handles

All our locks and parts were made from NOS samples so they fit gen vw handles also

https://www.customandcommercial.com...pick_up_parts/baywindow_complete_handle_sets/

https://www.customandcommercial.com...ick_up_parts/baywindow_cab_door_handle_parts/
Are your sliding door handles different to the ones sold by vwh then? I had one from them and the chrome was rubbish, still looking for a decent replacement.....

Nope VWH dont buy our handles, ours have an OEM logo and part number on the back of the handle

splitstop63 said:
Desi Yates will help you
ha! I had one from him that broke on first use, could clearly see an old defect where it broke. Made several attempts to contact him about it and got completely ignored

joneastwood said:
67westy said:
joneastwood said:

Nope VWH dont buy our handles, ours have an OEM logo and part number on the back of the handle
I think I may be ordering then. If I let you know key code when ordering will it come sorted?

I got C&C ones all coded to the ignition key - the quality is great and the coding service was spot on. Only one I had any issues with was the rear hatch lock where the barrel seemed slightly shorter than the original, but a litle bend of the release catch sorted it and works spot on

67westy said:
joneastwood said:
67westy said:

I think I may be ordering then. If I let you know key code when ordering will it come sorted?

We would need a physical key so that we can build ALL the locks to that key, so when ordering contact the office to arrange sending in a key and they can get it sorted for you

It's only the sliding door handle I would need. all others are good and on one key

Latest posts