Drive shafts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvel

Reaction score
So, the engine is out and one drive shaft CV boot is perishing a bit. Both sides are the originals but as they are 40 odd years old have seen better days. I have removed one side already, what a pig of a job, and will have a go at the other as well.
My question is would it be more economical in the long run to just replace the drive shaft on both sides rather than clean the originals, repack and just replace the CV boots? It looks much less hassle to buy two new drive shafts.

sparkywig said:
You'll still need to get messy if you buy complete driveshafts as they don't come pre-greased.

Wear gloves :msn4:

It takes about 30 mins per side to replace (or regrease) CV joints and boots. Quite satisfying too - especially the bit where you stick your fingers into the grease pot ;)

BJ1 said:
sparkywig said:
You'll still need to get messy if you buy complete driveshafts as they don't come pre-greased.

Wear gloves :msn4:

It takes about 30 mins per side to replace (or regrease) CV joints and boots. Quite satisfying too - especially the bit where you stick your fingers into the grease pot ;)

Very satisfying.... :|

You probably know what you're doing but don't do what I did . I stripped all 4 cv joints down, cleaned them all up and then learnt that you can'tmix up the parts from different ends.
Cost me 4 new joints :oops:

Mental note .....read the manual first

Well, after a good look at the drive shafts today, they are a bit rusty, I bit the bullet and decided on a pair of new ones from C&C. So once I get them through and fitted, there'll be a spare pair going for refurb.

I bought a pair of brand spankers last year - genuine VAG - surprised that they are not pre-greased. There was no warning on the packaging etc.
The boots are all clipped & sealed as if you're ready to go!
This is a surprise. I'll give them a good squeeze & see how they feel.
Sparkywig you may be a lifesaver - well ish :shock:
Phil

I ordered mine from C&C yesterday as VWH were on back order. Arrived this morning with a squeezy Bottle of grease for each joint. So fitted them this afternoon! Job, as they say, is a good 'un.

Latest posts