drive slammed import-scary!help *PICS ADDED*

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you want pics of the rear.....

they are on here......

http://sdcvr.smugmug.com/Finishedprojects/Dropped-68-Deluxe/13881942_r5nyr#1018300228_PagBF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1018302567_7wL52-L.jpg

Have just looked at the pics on that link so can now see just what they have done at the rear.

:shock:

It's horrifying to think that a 'professional' outfit not only consider that to be an acceptable modification, but then are happy to post pictures on the internet.

Gobsmacked.

Well I had a look at their website and it does not fill one with confidence.

The site behaves very oddly - in explorer it wants to download and in Opera the @ key, for instance, becomes disabled.

I wanted to use the "contact" option to point them to this thread so they could comment but their website appears to have problems similar to the vehicle. :lol:

i hadnt realised they made the modification themselves..... :shock:

that is horrific.

i dread to think what might have happened if it had failed. the weight of the engine under stress hanging off the rear of that beggers belief.

KCW pic from thread for the lazy! ;)
notched17.jpg

======================================================================================

back on topic
they seem to want to be 'known' for upsetting the populous

there was a thread on vzi regarding the worlds lowest porsche, a gulf blue with a narrowed front end and faked patina, vzi went all kamikazi on it's @ss [ no shock ] but it sold recently on ebay for just over $6k

this is the problem buying from a country that doesn't have the same safety standards in place...but the upside is after some stripping out and then some welding you'll be golden.

the other plus is others might not be so hasty to cut a 68 around, you have no choice as yours has already been 'done' and needs bringing back to something that will pass the MOT and be safe for you and your passengers

it's a shame you can't get it to slamwerks as right now I think they are doing some very good work, their welding [adj sprinplates] is excellent. Maybe drop Guy an email? sure he'd give you a few minutes , he always seems very decent and people orientated. He may say nay, but worth a gambit........?

Johnny said:
looks like the full weight on the back chassis legs is held by that plate bridging the box sections :shock: . An easy repair would be to weld in some gussets an turn them into a box section.

any chance you could draw me up a diagram of your suggestion here please johnny

Hi

Still can't believe they have done this!!

I think what Johnny is suggesting is that you weld a triangular piece to bridge the join on each side of the chassis rail so you can weld it both sides and then weld a piece between these triangles to close it off so it looks like a box section, it will ensure you have more contact area across the join rather than just the piece where its been lifted up.

to do each side of the bus you will need 4 triangles and 2 rectangles cut from steel of a suitable grade and thickness.

bloody hell that looks a bit sketchey :shock:

Maybe the mot system we have isnt so bad after all....!

Good luck with getting it all sorted, sounds like some excellent advise coming your way

Does this help explain it?

Slide1-3.jpg

I'd be more tempted to chop it all out an do like in dubdubz picture, that's if you want to keep it low also gives you the option to put a shock mount on too

Dave

jacks906 said:
I'd be more tempted to chop it all out an do like in dubdubz picture, that's if you want to keep it low also gives you the option to put a shock mount on too

Dave

Erm, I think they're trying to avoid doing that again! :lol:

yes that makes sense - cheers graham..is that enough to hold it? what gauge or thickness of steel should be used?
would it be good to put 2 x triangle sections on top as well as bottom?

going to try and sort out front soon - has anyone got any end plates i can buy?
have found some on internet but they're 90 pound a pair

The work is something else -WOW I really wish I had the skill knowledge and skills to do this to my bus, if would be sooooo cool and, well just the coolest bay in town :msn4:

All the mods I have seen in pics from this thread can be modified and the van made safe -currently I would really hope the van does not get driven (and no I have not read the whole thread)

Shamefull

Latest posts