Dropped spindle nyloc nut thread

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logicred

Reaction score
Fitted my dropped spindles and the top balljoint thread does not appear to be long enough to house the nyloc nut AND the flexi hose bracket. This bracket has a washer which fits inside it and is quite thick. As you can see from the pic the thread is not long enough to accomodate. I can remove the extra thick washer and the nut goes on ok, but the bracket itself is really thin and concerns me that the nyloc nut would not be as effective. Bit worried here as it's an important part of a flipped spindle!

20140516_132206.jpg

I left my flexi hose brackets off, theyve been fine :)

That looks like it's the wrong type of washer, the washer is normally machined so that the brake hose clips sits almost level with it.

I made new brackets for my hoses, but my bottom balljoint nyloc still doesnt 'nyloc'! Far from ideal, but I cant think of a decent solution to it. I think its a pretty common problem with dropped spindles.

clannish said:
you could machine a bit off the bottom of the nut.

You could, but that would effect the strength of the nut, you need the threads to apply the correct torque setting.

Someone has suggested loctite to me in the past, possible, but not a visual fix, so possibly fail MOT in the same way that a castlenut without a split pin would fail the MOT.

Personally, if you wanted to keep it the way it is, I'd flip the nyloc upside down.

The nut is doing next to jack all most of the time - once that has been under compression for a while, there's no way the joint would separate probably even without a nut present. IMO of course.

Moseley said:
Personally, if you wanted to keep it the way it is, I'd flip the nyloc upside down.

The nut is doing next to jack all most of the time - once that has been under compression for a while, there's no way the joint would separate probably even without a nut present. IMO of course.

On dropped spindles, the nut is pretty much holding the ball joint in the spindle, as the arms have been reversed, so pretty important, unlike stock, where the balljoint is being pushed into the arm by the weight of the bus.

neilswheels said:
Moseley said:

On dropped spindles, the nut is pretty much holding the ball joint in the spindle, as the arms have been reversed, so pretty important, unlike stock, where the balljoint is being pushed into the arm by the weight of the bus.

Ah yes - I fail! :lol:

Latest posts