Dynamo / Alternator

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoonerdtg

Reaction score
good evening i currently have a dynamo which ive already replaced the brushes on and changed the voltage regulator but now the light flickers on low revs so I think the times come to upgrade to an alternator the only problem is I have a csp breather tower but I'm being told it wont fit the alternator stand?

If that is your only concern, stick with the dynamo; light flicker is perfectly normal for dynamo at low rpm. Also new brushes will take a little time to bed in.
Peter Good

As above. Dynamos are also a lot cheaper and easier to replace or fix. Take my example- replacing the alternator on the beetle cost about £60 for a decent second hand one. Replacing the dynamo on the van cost £0, and three more people were offering me decent ones for the same price.

Base your decision to upgrade on the load you draw from the electric system. Running a big sound system, telly, fridge, and generally only travelling short distances? You might need an alternator. If not? You probably don't.

I've ran a dyno for the last 12 years with no problems aslong as everything is tip top with no earthing problems then stick with the dyno I've also got it hooked up to a 80ah leisure battery. Which only powers interior lights (led's) an average sound system . Always served me well . Unless your gonna start putting high drain devices into your bus (which you would need a separate battery if camping anyway ) keep it simple and stay with dyno and as above it takes a few miles or so for new brushes to find there shape on the dyno [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Latest posts