Early Bay for Everyday!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernie

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick question for anyone out there! :?

I have had many beetles over the last few years, mainley cheap projects which have only been used for very occasional trips! What I'm interested to know is whether anyone uses there early bay for everyday use, ie commute to work, popping to the shops, rain or shine etc.

Im not a member of any clubs as yet so have no idea if anyone puts there bus through such abuse and how it would cope! Any advice or pics would help.

Cheers :shock:

I am currently using mine as the daily since my volvo gave up the ghost, did 110 miles in it today. work is a 32 mile roundtrip so its been doing that for the last few weeks, has been interesting given that I have only just rebuilt my engine from scratch :lol:

I used to use my old '72 for work every day. I'm an electrician. I know a builder who still uses his late bay as a workhorse as well.
No reason why you can't use them every day, that's what they were built for. :D

i put this up on another forum once, and got treated to a 'what side of the bed did you get out of this morning' kind of response, but what *exactly* do you think VW built them to do in the first place ?

it's just a big car. there are ways and means of making it slightly more reliable, comfortable and economical but at the end of the day, it's a big car that was designed for ferrying people (or things) about in.

it won't accelerate, brake or steer as well as the majority of things it'll be surrounded by in traffic, but what the hell, you'll look ace holding everybody else up.

from personal experience, and i have to say we only ever used our bus as a daily driver for a month or so after moving to cornwall when our beetle was still in england, it turns EVERY journey, no matter how mundane, into an adventure... and that's when it's 100% working... throw in a gearbox adventure or two and it's a right laugh :p

Cheers Everyone,

I know it seemed like a stupid question as they are built to be driven! I did wonder if i would get a load of offensive replies :lol:

Just seems that a lot of the shows I have attended lately have been full of over polished under used buses. I was interested to know if anyone was still enjoying their bus the way it was designed! That said there did seem to be a great variety at Brighton Breeze this year.

Also everyone is moaning about the credit crunch so it seems a good time to buy my first bus in replace of my beetle and astra.

Thanks for your views.

Many busses that are on the road are used just for that purpose, mine was bought for the same reason to be my daily.... keep on top of the rust and general maintenance and you will be fine as the Councillor put it "you'll look ace holding everybody else up" in the rush hour traffic....

I use mine every day - regularly do 80 mile trips up and down the motorway.

And it has just broken a valve... :(

Before that, 4000 trouble free miles. Still, new valve (on my 4000 mile engine :? ) cost £6, and fingers crossed it should be good to go by the weekend again.

Mine ain't pretty though - I have no skills at bodywork, and it was rough enough before I got it!

I bought my bus to go travelling in a few years ago - where i used it pretty much everyday as i travelled around france and northern Italy. having said that i didnt really buy it so i would be using it every day (in the long run).

it is now off the road having a long await proper restoration. on completion it will still be used for the camping on weekends and runs to the coast, but i cant very well see myself driving it back and forth work every day - may the odd sunny friday to show off :)

i think it is more difficult to use as a daily driver if you have carried out alot of work on it yourself, because the condition of the vehicle will inevitably go down, no matter how well you look after it. paint chips here, scratch there. dont get me wrong i dont want to wrap it up in a garage but want it to stay nice hehe.

having said that when i was in hollywood several years ago there was a classic car show which i happened to fall into. there was a beautiful car there that was immaculate and the engine was like those seen at the volksworld show. when i asked how often he drives it his answer was..."everyday"

NaFe

This is mine and yes its my daily driver.

First couple of years of driving it every day was pretty miserable, but once i got the engine sound, heating working, all the inside insulated, i actually quite like driving it every day.

It's a bit too low for a daily driver at times, but you tend to lurn how to drive it and where to drive it!

IMG00083.jpg

I used my 71 Devon as a daily for years. Mind you putting 400+ miles a week on it accelerated the rot of bodgy seam sealed chassis repairs, resulting in it being on a ramp for the past couple of years.... getting there though. (Have gone back to driving Saabs for work, huge boot, great seats)

The 72 Westy (late bay I'm afraid) is the family car, used every weekend.

Personally I hate super shiny trailer queens. It's that that has pushed bus prices into the stratosphere and is a world away from what they were built for.

I use a late bay everyday.....don't think there would be a great deal of difference in using an early?? What does make it easier is an eberspacher heater tho.

I dont use mine every day, but do use it s often as i can, i love driving it, although i havent driven it of a frosty morning or late night yet, so that will be fun!

Latest posts