• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Early Bay LHD Throttle kits ....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simon

Would you be prepared to sell me the spring only - I would have bought your whole kit, but needed it "now" - as my old assembly wasn't safe, and you don't have the early RHD kit yet....

The split-pin hole had rusted open - making a hook - and that was all that was holding the linkage. I bought VW-Heritage kit - but it seems to have a bit more friction than the carb spring can handle - the accelerator does return consistently, but only 90% of the way, so engine is racing. A spring should sort

Thanks

2013-04-06185156.jpg

I really need the RHD kit ASAP aswell as mine is knackered. Having a sticky throttle and a twin carb'd 2110 is scary :shock:
I replaced the pedal hinge today which has helped but the rest is pretty fubar'd

No pressure then .
Im will be getting onto rhd earlies very soon . Just needed to get the rhd split kit sorted .
You can have a spring no problem but I only have 2 types available the one that goes on the earlybay lhd and the splitty one . Not looked into springs for the rhd kit .
Nice shot of the worn bits . Thats proper worn .

Simon,

I think I'd be happy to buy one of each and test/play (or take your advice). As long as they have the right amount of stretch I should be able to make the hole to accomodate length, I can't see there being much difference in LHD or RDH, the unstretched length would need to be about 7-9 inches ?

I'll send you a cheque to save you ppay fees - could you PM details....?

Are you still looking for photo's of RHD brackets - you might just be able to see it here - or I can take a better photo - (with new VWH linkage) if helpful

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at your pictures the V shaped part is actually a lhd part . I think you could get away with my lhd kit and one of the adjustable length long rods with the swivel joints on the end . And the lhd spring is only roughly 4" long at rest . Spring on rhd models usually goes on the lever you mount the cable to . Give me a shout if you want to buy a kit can bung one together . If you look at my photos of first rhd kit fitted you should be able to see what im going on about .

67westy said:
butty said:
67westy said:
I'm really interested in one of these. Can I just check that it will definitely fit an early 68MY? I bought a few bits a while back to replace worn parts but I seem to remember that the linkage I had was pretty different to what was on the VWHeritage site diagrams so the parts didn't fit :roll:

I guess I need to crawl under the bus at some point and have a look :)
Im pretty sure it will fit . But as with everything I sell if it doesn't work for you bung it back for a full refund .

Top man, that's the kind of service I like :D I'll put in an order now although I probably wont be fitting for a couple of months. Hope that is still ok!

Just to say I finally fitted it today and it works a treat :D much better pedal feel and I don't have to flick it up with my foot to idle at the right speed :lol: Nice and easy to fit too!

You may find more pictures on my Facebook page Buttys Bits . I cant post them on here as doing this from my phone at the mo .

Excellent news guys . For those that arent sure about whats involved in fitting them there is a how to coming soon in volksworld or camper and bus . But believe me its very simple ...

Here are a few pointers

Then arm attached to the peddle just pulls off, then the rest of the mechanism pulled apart with the use of a flat blade screwdriver, no bolts to undo.

The attach the new arm to the peddle with an 8mm spanned. Under the bus bolt the new mech to the bracket

54CDE6D4-A1FE-462A-A8E2-7FF77722DB33-29618-00000870E8FA74A0_zps24541d99.jpg

This shows the cable attached, but its easier to pop the ball joint in 1st

5C17F179-B040-4432-80AC-73F794727A4C-29618-00000870EE1956B1_zpsb949b9b8.jpg

Then drill a hole to attach the spring, all done 8)

00437ED2-6D76-406B-9A2A-4645A27593D9-29618-00000870F3B061DD_zps72c5da1a.jpg

I trimmed the throttle cable at the carb end to short, but ideally you now need to loosen the cable and readjust so that when the peddle is on the floor the carb is fully open 8)

I think spring should be hooked up a bit higher so its not as stretched as in the picture , the ones ive done I just go straight back about where the lipped part is on the body . Just dont want to over stretch it . I will be doing another bus soon and will try and give you guys some more photos etc .

butty said:
I think spring should be hooked up a bit higher so its not as stretched as in the picture , the ones ive done I just go straight back about where the lipped part is on the body . Just dont want to over stretch it . I will be doing another bus soon and will try and give you guys some more photos etc .

Strange cause that's where I fitted it :? Ill have another look

creationblue said:
butty said:

Strange cause that's where I fitted it :? Ill have another look

Ah I see on another pic it's attached to the bracket on the clutch assembly, I fixed it to the lipped bracket directly behind, a bit further away

Fitted mine today.....SO easy.....

IMG_2942.jpg

I also fitted a new throttle cable at the same time,but now my pedal only goes down half way ,the lever on the carb is fully open. the cable only just reaches where it bolts up at the carb,5mm shorter and it wouldnt reach.

Does this sound right? is my cable too short? i bought the cable for a lhd 68-71 which my bus is. could my carb be off a later or earlier bus?

Im confused. :-/

MrAndyP said:
Fitted mine today.....SO easy.....

IMG_2942.jpg

I also fitted a new throttle cable at the same time,but now my pedal only goes down half way ,the lever on the carb is fully open. the cable only just reaches where it bolts up at the carb,5mm shorter and it wouldnt reach.

Does this sound right? is my cable too short? i bought the cable for a lhd 68-71 which my bus is. could my carb be off a later or earlier bus?

Im confused. :-/
That looks spot on , springs not over stretched at rest . As to cable i think cables seem to vary a bit length wise between makers , some do the length from the centre of the eyelet and some do it from complete length from end to end .
I expect it would be the same on all stock carbs .
Is your pedal going all the way down now ? and opening carb up fully ? Does your pedal have the extended lip on the top that acts as a pedal stop ?

This was on my mates rhd , as you can see i had to crank the mount at the pedal end . But i think slow-lane-matts would work without cranking .
20130202_115240-1.jpg

This photo is the repair kit from your usual vw outlets . You need to weld the top hat part to your floor section and rods are not adjustable and i dont think anyone knows what the medium ones for , its surplus .....
20121223_131837-1_zps701db51f.jpg

Latest posts