Early vs Late style wiper motor swap

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaka1976

Reaction score
The wipers on my 72 Bay were not working which I tracked down to a seized motor. The problem is in getting replacements I've now got the later style connection i.e. with plug not a loom. I connected up the wires corresponding to the numbers on the switch, but it has caused a few problems. Firstly the switch goes from OFF-FAST-SLOW and fuse now blows after a short time of running. I'm assuming the wiring just need connecting but differently, can anyone tell me how?

hi - did you solve this - i had bust motor on a 72 early with dash mounted 2speed switch - bought new Bosch VW Brazil motor from JK - sold as ok for 67-74 bay - but it has the same problem as yours - will work on both speeds but won't self-park - if i connect the old black/violet wire in the original loom to the new black wire on the new motor it blows the fuse - this is what should work the self park i think -

any solutions out there?
cheers
Rob

Just resurrecting this thread as I have installed a late bay wiper motor in my bus and wondering if anyone knows how to make it work with the early bay switch?

I believe the issue from googling is to do with the later wiper motors not having an earth brake system and the switch flipping the power !

MY aim is to get it to work with a '99' relay from a mkIII golf/corrado which IMO has a very clever intermittent set up where it varies the intermittent delay depending on when you turn it on and off.

TIA

jp said:
Just resurrecting this thread as I have installed a late bay wiper motor in my bus and wondering if anyone knows how to make it work with the early bay switch?

TIA

Why not upgrade your vehicle with a 1973~74 VW Type 2, steering-column mounted, windscreen wiper & washer switch; they're much quicker and easier to use, especially at night!?!

Far too sensible an idea.. I like the retroness of the old knob and the shiny silverness of my single indicator stalk...

I have an EPS column from a Corsa which I could have used the stalks from but am trying to retain certain bits of the EB which tickle my retro stick of which the wiper knob and stalk is two.. doing sensible things like that might mean my bus gets finished/on the road and we wouldn't want that :mrgreen:

jp said:
Far too sensible an idea.. I like the retroness of the old knob and the shiny silverness of my single indicator stalk...

I have an EPS column from a Corsa which I could have used the stalks from but am trying to retain certain bits of the EB which tickle my retro stick of which the wiper knob and stalk is two.. doing sensible things like that might mean my bus gets finished/on the road and we wouldn't want that :mrgreen:
Having a steering-column mounted switch, instead of a dashboard-mounted switch, is a major contribution to road safety, owing to reduced-distraction hazard. I made this modification to my 1974 Triumph Toledo, for these reasons (and glad of it!), using Triumph Dolomite components. :D

jp said:

I believe the issue from googling is to do with the later wiper motors not having an earth brake system and the switch flipping the power !

MY aim is to get it to work with a '99' relay from a mkIII golf/corrado which IMO has a very clever intermittent set up where it varies the intermittent delay depending on when you turn it on and off.

TIA

An even cleverer system, is the after-market Rain Tracker RT50 rain-sensing windscreen wiper speed controller, which is compatible with the 1968~79 VW Type 2 factory-standard systems. :D

naskeet said:
An even cleverer system, is the after-market Rain Tracker RT50 rain-sensing windscreen wiper speed controller, which is compatible with the 1968~79 VW Type 2 factory-standard systems. :D

I've yet to be convinced by these systems, I had rain sensing on a 306 and my wife has it on her MK5 Golf GTI and have to say both are really flaky and random..either wiping far to frequently when it's spitting or failing to come on at all ! Is the RT50 any good? as in theory this would be the ideal solution.

Still not having a Wiper Stalk.. my Spitfire and Bus will be sticking with one stalk :mrgreen:

so in summary the only way to get this to work is to add a stalk wiper switch and JK are still advertising this for the wrong years! i swear 50% of the stuff I’ve bought from JK doesn’t fit, they’re only good for buying dinner sets and folding chairs
JP if you get it working, (especially with an intermittent function) please post a write up. Cant get my but throught its mot till I get this fixed and its summers coming fast!

jp said:
naskeet said:

I've yet to be convinced by these systems, I had rain sensing on a 306 and my wife has it on her MK5 Golf GTI and have to say both are really flaky and random..either wiping far to frequently when it's spitting or failing to come on at all ! Is the RT50 any good? as in theory this would be the ideal solution.

Still not having a Wiper Stalk.. my Spitfire and Bus will be sticking with one stalk :mrgreen:

I've yet to retro-fit mine, so I cannot say from personal experience, but various companies, which convert cars for disabled drivers, seem to be satisfied with them. One of these units, is used by a paraplegic rally driver, who competes in quite demanding rally stages.

Here is one company called Braiden International, in New Zealand, with whom I have had dealings, who convert vehicles for disabled drivers.

http://www.gentlegiant.co.nz/about.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gentlegiant.co.nz/vehicles.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gentlegiant.co.nz/products.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gentlegiant.co.nz/products/raintracker.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have any you earlybay drivers actually fitted a rain-sensing wiper (ie automatic) system like the Rain-tracker? I have used one on my car and it is really useful, as all you had to do was switch it on when it rains and then it takes care of itself!

I am thinking about getting one for my van and just wanted to hear from anyone who has fitted one already :D :msn4:

Latest posts