EB on fire

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
faux said:
Shows why it is worthwhile fitting an extinguisher. Got to feel for the guy. One less early too :(

If thats not enough to make you get a fire system fitted then what is?!! for sake of less than £200 - no amount of insurance can replace that bus. I would be devestated,not just the asset factor, just the memories of holidays,the personal touches etc.and as faux says,one less EB. I really feel for the guy - anyone know him?

Hopefully gonna fit my firetec tomorrow, that clip has convinced me. My son sits just over the engine bay, it's not worth taking the chance.

That is sure bad news, think i will fit an extinguisher before we take the new bus on the road.

Is the Firetec system the system of choice, is that the automatic one you fit to the engine bay with the heat sensitive tubing?

One question though would the fire in that clip have taken slower had the engine lid and doors been closed so that the fire didnt have a plentifull supply of oxygen as it whipped through the interior with the front door being open?

heart breaking :(

will be looking at the firetec system - also, what;s the best extinguisher to carry? - I take it a powder based one but any tips appreciated

That is really shocking, really feel for the guy. makes me even more worried now as still got a leaking carb. Really going to look at the extinguisher soon. My only convern would be my bus seems to get quite hot it might trigger when im driving along?

ohhh man, thats made me feel sick! realy makes you think! where do you get them automatic extingisers from? and how much do they cost?

Hiya All,

It's interesting to me that whenever a video like this appears the comments following tend to be of the "gotta get a fire extinguisher" kind. Don't get me wrong, I have three fire extinguishers on board my Bus. They are very necessary in my opinion. But a fire extinguisher (or a fire supression system) is the LAST means of defense against a fire.

Seems to me that such videos should get folks to thinking............gotta change out my fuel hosing.............gotta check all my fuel line connections...............gotta overhaul the carburetor and make sure it's in good nick......................gotta make sure my venting system is working properly......................gotta replace the fuel filter.......................gotta make sure the fuel line passthrough in the front tin is secure.

I'm thinking that it's a whole lot better to prevent the fire from ever happening than to have the tools to fight it once it does get started.

I'm making a list of thing to do before we go away on the 14th Aug in the bus, just added replace flexible fuel lines :mrgreen:

westbay said:
That is sure bad news, think i will fit an extinguisher before we take the new bus on the road.

Is the Firetec system the system of choice, is that the automatic one you fit to the engine bay with the heat sensitive tubing?

One question though would the fire in that clip have taken slower had the engine lid and doors been closed so that the fire didnt have a plentifull supply of oxygen as it whipped through the interior with the front door being open?

I believe that there are basically 2 types of automatic extinguisher. The simplest type is just a bottle mounted above or to one side in the engine bay at an angle with the head pointing towards the engine. In the event of a fire, the glass bulb shatters and sprays foam or powder in the direction in which it is pointed. This is not necessarily in the exact direction of the fire! The better system uses a pressurised tube which is primed with foam or power and is looped around the top of the engine bay. In the event of a fire the pipe ruptures in the location of the heat and therefore directs the foam directly onto the sources of the fire. I fitted the latter recently (thanks again to Adamski for the arranging the group buy) and it literally only took half and hour.

Bookwus said:
Hiya All,

It's interesting to me that whenever a video like this appears the comments following tend to be of the "gotta get a fire extinguisher" kind. Don't get me wrong, I have three fire extinguishers on board my Bus. They are very necessary in my opinion. But a fire extinguisher (or a fire supression system) is the LAST means of defense against a fire.

Seems to me that such videos should get folks to thinking............gotta change out my fuel hosing.............gotta check all my fuel line connections...............gotta overhaul the carburetor and make sure it's in good nick......................gotta make sure my venting system is working properly......................gotta replace the fuel filter.......................gotta make sure the fuel line passthrough in the front tin is secure.

I'm thinking that it's a whole lot better to prevent the fire from ever happening than to have the tools to fight it once it does get started.

Absolutely true.

ALL old vehicles - not just VW's - are prone to fires the insurance claim statistics say.

The reason is poor maintenance eg. perished and damaged components that should be replaced. Bodged repairs and modifications.

Its not just the fuel system but the wiring loom as well.

Carry a fire extinguisher - sure - good idea but installing an automated system like on a race car is a bit "knee jerk" and treats the symptom rather than the cause IMO.

There is one weakness in the design of some vehicles though - including bays. The fuel tank is higher than the pump so if a break occurs in the fuel line the fuel will pour out until the tank is empty. I thought of running the fuel line upwrds but then realised it would not help since it would still siphon out. The only solution to this would be a fuel cut off valve though I have not fitted one - but thinking about it.

Trikky2 said:
Bookwus said:
The only solution to this would be a fuel cut off valve though I have not fitted one - but thinking about it.

Funny how you mention the fuel cut off valve. I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning. I work with a guy who is big into motorsport and he said that electronic fuel shut off valves are available and could be fitted early on in the fuel line from the tank. It would be switched by the ignition. It is common practice to fit these in motorsport. he said check demon tweeks as a starter.

I am going to and will let you guys know how I get on.

Ok, have done some research and have found a supplier for 12 volt solenoid operated fuel cut off valves. These are normally closed and then open when voltage is applied. Designed for use with low pressure and gravity fed systems. Current price is £35 plus post but am awaiting info on a group buy discount.

The only condition for fitting will be to have an inline filter straight after the tank and then to the valve before feeding on to the carb. Most people have a filter any way so its just a case of moving it back along the pipework. If you fit this valve before the bulkhead you shouldnt have any issues with a fuel fire once the ignition is off. Maybe cheaper than extinguishers or ideal fitted with an extinguisher.

Any one interested?

i know i wouldn't be ducking back in for anything inside that van. did you see how quick it took from the engine to the inside! literally a split second.

scary stuff :(

Johnny said:
i know i wouldn't be ducking back in for anything inside that van. did you see how quick it took from the engine to the inside! literally a split second.

scary stuff :(

Saying that I am sure the video was cut/edited slightly!

But all the same ..................

Latest posts